Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

27 Dec 2021

Greetings,
    It's been a busy week this past week with Christmas and oncall for work. Very little shop time this past week but I'm hoping to do more shop time this coming week. I only have 1 more day of oncall duty then I can be free from being tied to a computer 24x7. I'm hoping to make some decent progress on the White Ash queen size bed for my #2 son this coming week as I made zero progress on it last week. I simply haven't had to "drive" to get back in the shop but I'm doing my best to motivate myself to get back out there and work with my hands again doing what I love to do...work with wood.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I finished up the shadow box my father-in-law asked me to make for the pocket watch he gave my wife for Christmas. It was his grandfather’s and then his.
    98162342-0053-4BD1-B3D8-8490862563DB.jpeg
    The box is double-sided so the initials engraved on the back of the watch can be seen.
    Chuck Taylor

Chuck, nicely done, sir. Patrick

This past week was a decent week, although no woodworking transpired that I can remember. LOL Since our younger daughter has an SO, we had a family brunch on Christmas morning her so that she and said SO could also participate in the family meal at his parents' house. "Santa" was thoughtful and brought me two small Bessey clamps (similar to the Festool clamps) and a ZCI for the SS PCS I'm currently using in my temporary shop. Our old property passed the inspections so hopefully, that saga will be completed in three weeks and it will be in the capable hands of a nice young couple. That also means we can move on with some things we want or need to do here, including, maybe, planning for a new shop building.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gifted this week

I made 5 recipe boxes for my wife, daughters, and sister-in-law. The black walnut came from a tree from my family farm. My dad milled it maybe 20 years ago and he hauled my share from Iowa to Arizona. I picked some of the worst pieces with missing knots, splits, etc. Filled all with black epoxy. I wanted to make sure the lids stayed perfectly flat and at 7" wide and 5/8" thick there is no way they would if solid material. I used a core of 3/8" BB ply with 1/2" wide solid walnut wrapped around with mitered corners. I then faced front and back with 1/8" thick shop sawn veneer. I choose a board with a branch and growth rings showing as that would never be stable in solid wood. Mitered corners with 1/4" thick splines at a 45 angle for strength. I's started using Rubio Monocoat and love it on walnut, the Pure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chuck, Love the watch case, what a great way to display an heirloom.

Progress on the kitchen slowed down as we took time to enjoy the holiday. The rib roast and salmon turned out great and we enjoyed a repeat on Sunday. More leftovers in the freezer for NYE and NYD.

I did install the last few pieces of underlayment on the section that abuts the family room and main hallway. Didn't need it in place to get the cabinets done so I left it for later. Then I fill in a few dips with feather finish. I finalized the flooring layout and snapped a bunch of guide lines. A little tricky because the flooring flows from the kitchen to two hallways and one of those hallways flows into the main entry hall. The flooring we picked is LVT, about 18 x 24 so I wanted the joints in the flooring lined up and centered as much as possible in the three hallways. Like any house, nothing is very straight or square so lots of compromises. So I spent more time and care doing the layout work than I expected. But I did get the starting row of flooring in place and hope it will go faster now, even given all the fitting necessary in a kitchen.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--