Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw damaged during shipping? Can I reject the load?

bandsaw damaged during shipping? Can I reject the load?

I bought a horizontal bandsaw and found out later after the truck driver left and I gave it a more thorough inspection, the legs were damaged due to the flimsy pallet they placed it on. Can you reject the shipment right then and there if this happens again? Ive thought about just straightening them out myself and having them knock off 200 bucks, but decided I deserved a bandsaw that wasn't damaged to begin with. The metal is actually pretty thick, so it looks like I got what I paid for atleast. I'm just irritated now that I have to wait for two more trucks to show up before hopefully getting a non damaged bandsaw. They wouldn't even let me throw it back on the same truck the new one comes on.

My understanding - no experience - is that before the item is unloaded you can tell the driver to take it back. I'm not sure if a problem is discovered after the item is unloaded but the truck is still there. Once the truck leaves it's between you and the shipper. That's my understanding.

Blog Entries
    I learned early on to not feel anxious or uncomfortable about making the driver wait till I had a good inspection of the shipment. On the left coast you can refuse the delivery on the spot and avoid the extra truck trips. This does not always guarantee a savings in time however. Some sellers want the product back fort their own inspection before sending out a new unit but that is another discussion. The truck that drops off cannot also pick up in many situations as logistics only work that way if the companies involved have setup a mechanism for that. Sorry for the delays. Many of us have been there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

To the OP, this is a bummer but unfortunately, not surprising. We've been fighting a lot of these battles lately. Seems like there is no more A-team as far as delivery drivers and warehouse loaders. Mostly C and D-team, these days. More freight damage lately than I have ever experienced in the industry. Generally speaking, once you take possession of the load, regardless of how you sign, the burden of proof for any type of freight claim will fall on your shoulders and the freight carriers seem as dug-in as ever in regards to denying claims or if accepting a claim, no clear end in sight as to when it will get resolved. All sucks but there is nothing any of us can do about it.

My suggestion to anyone receiving LTL freight is to, if at all possible, have the shipper leave it at your nearest local terminal for you to pick up. This way, you can go over the load thoroughly and refuse if there is any damage. Means more planning and a little more expense on your end but totally eliminates the potential for you getting stuck with a damaged load while the carrier or seller takes their sweet time in resolving it. Hope you get speedy resolution on this.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

When I had a tad pole recumbent trike delivered, the box was basically crushed. The trucker would not unload it, just wanted me to sign the damaged paperwork. At that moment I called the company I bought it from and sent pictures. That went incredibly well for me. But once you get it off the truck and the truck leaves, it takes lots of pictures of how the box or crate looked and a good customer service department at the manufacturer.

Having experienced this twice. The first time a jointer/planer had literally been rolled over, pallet and all at some point in its travels. The second was a compressor that was sent three times before the fourth one arrived intact. Do not sign for your shipment until you thoroughly inspect it. The driver will often not be happy however once you sign for something you own it warts and all. As Erik pointed out, all the burden becomes yours to document and file.

If you have the package/crate and the delivery company has already left...you have accepted the load. If you have concealed damage after accepting the delivery as in the first sentence, you can pursue a claim on that basis, but you need to do that quickly. As Erik pointed out, it can be a tough row to hoe these days, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Erik you are being kind with the letters from your Alphabet soup. Its more like the F Team, F for Fail.

Sorry Travis, good luck in your claim. Your post however is a good reminder, inspect carefully first. I have an order coming in from Felder in January, I'll be looking it over as best I can before signing.

One way I have found to save a step is to go to the local transfer location with a pickup truck and get the machine there. You can inspect the box with the terminal manager and if there is a reason to worry, I've actually been allowed to open the box and inspect it there. Very easy to reject the shipment there.

damage will not always present itself I had two hours into a machine before i found damage. Granted it is used but still if a machine gets whacked or thumped bad you wont see damage 100 percent of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    My understanding - no experience - is that before the item is unloaded you can tell the driver to take it back. I'm not sure if a problem is discovered after the item is unloaded but the truck is still there. Once the truck leaves it's between you and the shipper. That's my understanding.
    You can do this. Brian

When I purchased my 16” combo jointer-planer machine it was way too heavy for me to get it up my very steep driveway, so I hired a pro rigging crew. I had the manufacturer deliver the machine to the rigging company’s warehouse; i did not see the machine until it arrived at my house. Along with the delivery service the rigging company has insurance against any issue with the delivery, damage to the machine or property during the delivery. They told me I could decide at any time to refuse the delivery, even after the machine was in my garage. The crew of 4 guys helped unpack and set up the machine, carted off all the packing materials, and suspended it in mid air while i attached the mobility kit. We got it situated in position and I did not sign off until it was plugged in and working. They were incredibly professional and pleasant. I also got to choose the time and day of delivery, something not always possible when dealing directly with freight delivery. Of course this was extremely expensive…but so worth it. Highly recommended. If I ever move I am calling them.

Hey Scott, how about a shout out for this rigger? Who was it?

This was Mariano Brothers Specialty Moving & Rigging, based in Danbury, CT.