Thread: A Cordless drill for pilot holes...

A Cordless drill for pilot holes...

Had to fire the little Hanson Drill...plastic gears. Looked through the tool cabinet for a better one to drill pilot holes with..
    G-P No. 329, front.JPG
    I think this will do nicely...Goodell Pratt Co. of Greenfield, MASS. USA......a 1917 version of their No. 329 hand drill. 0-1/4" capacity, single speed ( Variable speed? How fast can you crank?) Reversing? Turn the crank the other direction. Solid wood handles..
    G-P No. 329, 1917, back.JPG
    I figure the side handle is for when I have to pull the bit back out. The chuck has a Patent date: AUG 13, 1895....and is also by Goodell Pratt Co.

Plan is to use this for pilot holes, for when I install some hardware on a box.
    A Cedar Box, hinge try-outs.JPG
    With screws, instead of nails...

Should do the job?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Works for me, and a lot less noise. Best wishes in your work.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Had to fire the little Hanson Drill...plastic gears. Looked through the tool cabinet for a better one to drill pilot holes with..
    G-P No. 329, front.JPG
    I think this will do nicely...Goodell Pratt Co. of Greenfield, MASS. USA......a 1917 version of their No. 329 hand drill. 0-1/4" capacity, single speed ( Variable speed? How fast can you crank?) Reversing? Turn the crank the other direction. Solid wood handles..
    G-P No. 329, 1917, back.JPG
    I figure the side handle is for when I have to pull the bit back out. The chuck has a Patent date: AUG 13, 1895....and is also by Goodell Pratt Co.

Plan is to use this for pilot holes, for when I install some hardware on a box.
    A Cedar Box, hinge try-outs.JPG
    With screws, instead of nails...

Should do the job?
    I have acquired quite a few of these drills. It makes me wonder why they ever fell out of favor. They require no batteries, they are lighter, and if you ask me they are more accurate because they are better balanced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I have acquired quite a few of these drills. It makes me wonder why they ever fell out of favor. They require no batteries, they are lighter, and if you ask me they are more accurate because they are better balanced.
    All but my two Millers Falls #2 models and a Goodell Pratt #5-1/2 have been sold or given away.

For small screws it is often my preference to use something even slower, easier to control, than an eggbeater to drill shank and pilot holes. A recent win on ebay brought home a lot of things including a 1/2" Millers Falls #810 countersink:

Millers Falls #810 Countersink.jpg

It is now the best countersink in my accumulations of countersinks.

For boring without using an eggbeater my two 'straight' handles work great. Another recent acquisition is also great for control when boring shallow holes:

Various Bit Holders.jpg

The straight handles can be used between the hands like using a stick to start a fire if one wants some extra speed.

The Goodell Pratt #5-1/2 is a two speed drill. The slow speed turns the chuck a little more than one time for one revolution of the crank. That is handy for the bigger bits.

The brace chuck can hold regular twist bits or auger tanged bits.

The other holder is a tap holder that can also hold drill bits up to 1/4".

They all do a great job for controlled boring.

Results.jpg

Not sure where this chart originated:

Wood Screw Chart.jpg

A little time was spent marking out the shank size and pilot hole size needed for the various screws. The size for gimlets was also added. This may be different for different makers of gimlets. These were the sizes marked on the tang of a lot of gimlets purchased on an ebay bid.

BTW, the chuck on my #5-1/2 has the same Aug 13, 1895 patent date > https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNu...&docid=0544411

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-27-2021 at 8:58 PM. Reason: BTW,
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ok...Had to set up a second drill, needed slightly larger holes drilled in the hinges, to clear these screws better..
    Cedar Box, box of hardware.JPG
    For scale? That HUGE screw is a #6 Drywall screw, 1-5/8" long, the screws I was using? 1 is resting IN the drywall screw's threads..Second eggbeater?
    Drills, G-P vs Handyman.JPG
    One of the very few Stanley Handyman tools in the shop ( other one is a H1248)....wasn't too bad, drilling Brass.

Ready rack of drills IN the shop? The "main" rack..
    Drills, main rack.JPG
    The brace off to the left..
    Drills, Biggems.JPG
    Is a Stanley 14" Holdall? Beside it is a PEXTO Samson 12" brace.

Over in the door?
    Drills, Standby rack.JPG
    The HUGE eggbeater is a Millers Falls No. 2-01.

Hand drills..( non Millers Falls)..
    Drills, hand drills.JPG
    Figured these might be a bit too big for the job.

I size the tool to the job being done...YMMV...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use