Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving, what would you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Peek View Post
    Thanks for all the reply’s. Can’t put a storage unit in the property, so that’s off the table. I don’t really know when my new home
    will be finished. Will be at least a year,probably more. I’m really up in the air at this point. I’m going to try to rent a house with a 2 car
    garage and hopefully can store (not set it up) in there.It’s the unloading of heavy equipment that worries me. My wife isn’t as strong as
    you used to be! Lol.
    Hello Rick.
    I live not far from Norris Lake, near Clinton TN. I migrated to this area in 1969 from the frigid north. Great area!

Can you rent (or buy) a semi-trailer for the storage?

The end of the story: I bought one 8x9x45' for storage and have been using it on my property since 2004. (The wheels had been removed so it's essentially a shipping container.) We have a farm with llamas and horses and such and when looking for a quick place to store hay I bought an 8x8x40' aluminum shipping container. I've used it to store hay for many years now. The end with the doors is visible behind the hay trailer.

hay_IMG_20170918_182419_563.jpg

The bump in the story: While there are no zoning or permit requirements for ag-related things in this county I did run into a bit of trouble with the storage container. I had cleared and leveled a spot where it would fit but after I moved it there I discovered there was a setback requirement of 30' from the road. Unfortunately, the spot I prepared didn't have enough room for that so I did some earth moving and prepared another spot, the one visible in the photo above. It's 30' from the road but still easy access for the big trailer.

The reason the shipping container was not allowed on the first spot was because it wasn't on wheels so the county considered it a permanent structure, subject to the setback. The county codes guy said it would be OK to park a semi trailer in that spot indefinitely as long as it was on wheels and it had a valid tag and insurance. If it would work out, you could park a trailer there while your house/shop is being built. I couldn't be responsible for the contents however this is a dead-end lane and the spot is within view of at least 3 houses. As the spot is next to the road it has easy access for dropoff and pickup. It's in the little triangle at the top of this older sat photo:

_map_of_farm_3.jpg

I do nothing with that 1/10 acre other than dump logs or gravel there on occasion so a trailer wouldn't be in the way. If interested, I can double check with the county to make sure the rules haven't changed. Also, if you want I could check around for long-term semi trailer storage in one of the zillions of industrial companies in the area and see what kind of storage fees they have. Storage there would most likely be secured by a fence/gate. The company where I bought my excavator may even be willing - they certainly have the space.

I checked into purchasing a trailer at one point and it wasn't too expensive. Could be sold when done with it. Inexpensive to move!

BTW, unloading heavy things from a U-haul or semi trailer might not be a big problem even for temporary storage. There are a lot of people in the are, including me, who have tractors with forks. When I have heavy things delivered I usually get the shipping company to stop at a wide place on the main highway and drive the tractor down the hill. They LOVE that!

I assume you've visited the area concerning the property. If down again, let me know and perhaps you can come visit. (You might need to sign up as a "contributor" instead of as a "member" to use the messaging here, I don't know. But it's only $6 min a year, almost free! https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php
    There is also another gentleman who frequents here who has a house and new shop on Norris Lake.

JKJ

Thanks Clark. It is tough leaving here. It’s beautiful. Unfortunately the politics and taxes are crazy.Thus we are out of here!

Kind our thought. We are looking for a rental now with a 2 car garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    You never indicated what part of Tennessee are you going to? There are numerous Creekers in that state and they might be able to assist in some manner. I missed the follow up about renting a home and hopefully a garage. So a storage container during construction isn't an option? Because of covenants or zoning restrictions? If that's the case are you sure can build a shop? When we were looking for a place to build one subdivision we looked at didn't allow a separate unattached building and as I recall there was a restriction on how large the garage could be in relation to house square footage. You couldn't have a boat or RV parked on the property unless it fit in the garage.
    Norris lake, Knoxville area. We are doing a 3 car garage with a shop attached in an L shape. All approved. My issue with a shipping container is, it is going to be a pretty heavy construction zone, pretty steep lot with a lot of site work. I feel it would probably be in the way anywhere we put it. Also I’d be worried about theft. Pretty easy to cut even a heavy duty padlock off.

Use 6" tack welds to secure the shipping container doors. If the authorities want to check the contents when moved across state lines, it will not stop them from opening it, but what casual thief will want to be grinding away to remove several feet of weld even if they had the equipment to do it? Obviously, this would be for loooong term storage!

Norris lake, Knoxville area. We are doing a 3 car garage with a shop attached in an L shape. All approved. My issue with a shipping container is, it is going to be a pretty heavy construction zone, pretty steep lot with a lot of site work. I feel it would probably be in the way anywhere we put it. Also I’d be worried about theft. Pretty easy to cut even a heavy duty padlock off.
    Be sure you catch John Jordan's last paragraph above in post #31...it may be a solution for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I am sorry I did not read the whole thread and this may be covered. The tools I let go when I relocated for "Silly-Cone Valley" were replaced by tools a little farther up the tier ladder but lower in quality. In the price range I live in it is difficult to find a quality product but diligent shopping and forum questioning can help you there. My point is that even if I pay near the price of a tool to store it I will probably end up with a better tool at about the same price as replacement in some instances.

I think you need to carefully pick and choose. Many tools are not lifetime tools. They degrade, wear normally or are just replaceable due to improvements in design. Sell these or leave them behind to reduce your storage requirements for lifetime tools. The secret to happiness is a time machine. If I had known what was going to happen to prices when COVID hit I would have a couple of storage containers on the property right now ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You certainly aren't going to be far from John Jordan then as he noted. I'm sure he can direct you to lot's of resources. This might be an option as well.

https://www.terminalexchangeservices...g-network.html

Thank you so much, a very generous offer. I may very well make take you up on it. We will be down again soon. I need to find a place
    to live while my house is being built. Another daunting task!

I hope you find your temporary place, Rick. The rental market is as crazy as the home sales market is right now. (one of the reasons we bought and moved before we sold for our downsize this past year) Be ready to commit immediately to any acceptable rental you find! It will not be there the next day in many cases.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I hope you find your temporary place, Rick. The rental market is as crazy as the home sales market is right now. (one of the reasons we bought and moved before we sold for our downsize this past year) Be ready to commit immediately to any acceptable rental you find! It will not be there the next day in many cases.
    I’m becoming very aware of that! Problem is we aren’t moving until April, and I’m the kind of guy who needs to know where I’m going. Might have to pay a few months rent and not use it!

Thank you so much, a very generous offer. I may very well make take you up on it. We will be down again soon. I need to find a place
    to live while my house is being built. Another daunting task!
    If you locate a possible rental place on line we'd be glad to do what we've done for others and go look at it. My wife loves to do that!

She also has a good friend who is a realtor who may have some ideas. If you want her to ask, she's like to know your requirements on house and garage size and how far away from your building site you would consider. Fortunately, the Caryville/Lafollette exit on I-75 is close to where much of the new construction on Norris Lake seems to be happening.

I know some realtors rent to people who are building a house - when we bought this place in 2003 the realtor had rented it to a family while they were waiting for their new house to be completed.

You can send an email to me through the SMC profile if you'd like - that would be a quicker way to communicate.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If you locate a possible rental place on line we'd be glad to do what we've done for others and go look at it. My wife loves to do that!

She also has a good friend who is a realtor who may have some ideas. If you want her to ask, she's like to know your requirements on house and garage size and how far away from your building site you would consider. Fortunately, the Caryville/Lafollette exit on I-75 is close to where much of the new construction on Norris Lake seems to be happening.

I know some realtors rent to people who are building a house - when we bought this place in 2003 the realtor had rented it to a family while they were waiting for their new house to be completed.

You can send an email to me through the SMC profile if you'd like - that would be a quicker way to communicate.

JKJ
    We are on Maynardville side. Would like to be in north Knoxville area so we can be closer to our build site,but not to far from Knoxville as we will be running around picking out finishes and materials. I’ll send you my email.

I’m becoming very aware of that! Problem is we aren’t moving until April, and I’m the kind of guy who needs to know where I’m going. Might have to pay a few months rent and not use it!
    That's a true statement...get what you can when you can and just opt to pay for it. It beats living in a tent or an RV!

Our younger daughter and SO are having a very hard time finding just a simple apartment right now as they have to move out of our old house before closing with the new owners in two weeks. If they are lucky, they may get something for March at the present time in our area. I actually offered to provide a small subsidy for a defined period of time if they have to take something that's one or two hundred dollars more than their budget...but still no joy. There are also almost no house rentals available, according to our RE agent which has been impacting some of his clients materially.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-02-2022 at 4:00 PM.
    --