Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving, what would you do.

Moving, what would you do.

I’m getting ready to retire and building a new home in Tennessee. My house and shop won’t be done for a year. I estimate the cost to move my shop and store it ( I was thinking a pod) will be somewhere around 8-10k, could be more if I can’t get it all in one pod.
    Would you sell and buy new?. Part of my issue is all my lumber. I have quite a stash and hate to give it up, especially at today’s prices. Much of my lumber is figured woods like flame birch, tiger maple, spalted maple, curly cherry ect.

Renting a uhaul and a self storage unit would be much cheaper

Look into buying a used shipping container when you are closer to making the move. There are companies that specialize in selling and moving them. They are typically 20 and 40 feet lengths. Have it moved to the new home location and unloaded there. Their trailers are roll back flat beds and they self unload and load. They have a winch to pull the container on. You just need an accessible level place to unload it. When you have it emptied you can always resell it. Just a thought to consider.

A U-Haul truck and storage unit could be cost-effective (I recently paid $70/day for a U-Haul truck and $115/month for a 10'x15' storage unit)

The important question: Do you have muscular sons/daughters/nephews/nieces? In recent years, with various moving and demolition tasks, my muscular son and weight-lifter nephew have been invaluble.

We moved earlier this year so I understand your concerns. Relative to lumber and other materials, I did initially rent a 10x10 storage unit at a place local to our new property. A couple of months ago, I replaced it with a 10x10 StorageLogic tent structure on top of a wood platform I built. The cost of this temporary structure was about the same as two month's locker rental after a sudden price hike hit. So if you have access to the property and it's an option do do something similar, it may be worth consideration. If you can find a 20' container (hard to come by these days) that would be a similar solution that could also store your tools securely, again if you have access to the site and can place the temporary storage on it. You would likely recoup most, if not all, your cost for the container if you sell it once the property is ready to move into.

That said, if storage of a large amount of stuff isn't practical, pick out what's most important to you to keep. For me, that would be hand tools, powdered hand tools and smaller machines that you'd want to have available immediately for any home improvements/projects you'd need to do right upon moving in. That includes precious material that you'd be hard pressed to replace with more common stuff being sold to other woodworkers. (I just did that with a ton of turning stock that I have no room for until I get a shop building up...another 'Creeker got it) Sell the rest of the machinery and bank the money. This can be an opportunity for you to setup shop in a new and better way once you are settled. I've taken that approach for some aspects of my machinery as my temporary shop situation just wouldn't support the space necessary to keep all the big stuff and I chose not to move and pay to store, for example, the big sliding table saw that was the centerpiece of my old shop. I'll replace it when I have a building.

Tough choices, but again...opportunity, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you don't like your current mix of tools then sell them and buy new. I hate using Craig's List more and more each year. I don't think I bought or sold anything in the last 2 years. I did a quick inventory about 6 months ago and not counting all of the little stuff it would take me $65K to replace the large machinery I have in the one bay of our garage. It adds up quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    We moved earlier this year so I understand your concerns. Relative to lumber and other materials, I did initially rent a 10x10 storage unit at a place local to our new property. A couple of months ago, I replaced it with a 10x10 StorageLogic tent structure on top of a wood platform I built. The cost of this temporary structure was about the same as two month's locker rental after a sudden price hike hit. So if you have access to the property and it's an option do do something similar, it may be worth consideration. If you can find a 20' container (hard to come by these days) that would be a similar solution that could also store your tools securely, again if you have access to the site and can place the temporary storage on it. You would likely recoup most, if not all, your cost for the container if you sell it once the property is ready to move into.

That said, if storage of a large amount of stuff isn't practical, pick out what's most important to you to keep. For me, that would be hand tools, powdered hand tools and smaller machines that you'd want to have available immediately for any home improvements/projects you'd need to do right upon moving in. That includes precious material that you'd be hard pressed to replace with more common stuff being sold to other woodworkers. (I just did that with a ton of turning stock that I have no room for until I get a shop building up...another 'Creeker got it) Sell the rest of the machinery and bank the money. This can be an opportunity for you to setup shop in a new and better way once you are settled. I've taken that approach for some aspects of my machinery as my temporary shop situation just wouldn't support the space necessary to keep all the big stuff and I chose not to move and pay to store, for example, the big sliding table saw that was the centerpiece of my old shop. I'll replace it when I have a building.

Tough choices, but again...opportunity, too.
    Jim:

I always suspected that you took great care of your tools, but never imagined it would go to that extent.

OP:

Tough choices; some of the parameters in your equation include:

- do you like your current set up or do you wish to change the type/size of equipment?

- are finances an issue? In general changing tools costs money - unless you are very lucky and find great deals.

- given the supply chain situation for certain products and markets, are you willing/comfortable with potential delayed delivery dates? This one could actually turn into an opportunity under a scenario whereby you might decide to sell and buy new. Delivery in 12 months or so should be relatively easy to achieve and the storage/delivery aspects would be covered as well.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

J.

Consider talking to a moving company about their storage options. We moved locally, but I used a moving company to move all my shop equipment. I took care of removing things like the cast iron wings on my table saw and explained when getting quotes that I would be there and that there would be very specific ways each piece was to be lifted. They did it quickly and efficiently for less than $500.00. Depending on the available storage options, I would suspect you could move and store your shop for 1 year for less than $5K. Unless you want to be rid of some of your equipment, I think the sell/buy process would quickly exceed that.

My city does not allow a storage container on the property for more then 12 months. After that you would have to have built a storage shed/garage etc. No such rules in my county for rural areas.
    A one trip container is brand new made and filled in China with clean boxed goods then shipped empty to you. Essentially brand new but a bit cheaper then unused. Guaranteed water tight no rust etc.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-26-2021 at 12:59 PM.

If the city does not allow containers might check with a rv storage yard if you can park a container there for a fee.
    Bill D

Moved lots of times and had to store multiple motorcycles and lawn mowers. Rented ground floor self storage with drive up access, usually a 10'x30' or 10' x 20'.

Paid around $200 per month on average.

Where in Tennessee, if reasonably close to Nashville, be more than happy to help on this end with loading/unloading.

Jacques, my tools are very particular about their powder...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another option is to list what you have here and some of us fine Creekers might offer to "store" them for you. Seriously though here is one of many container options. This one seems high to me but it's food for thought.

https://shipped.com/to/NA/US/New-York/Lake-George

You have to consider the supply chain issues that are not fixed yet. If you sell, place your order on new based on delivery times.

When I moved to my current house I lost my shop and had to wait about a year to get another garage built so I had one. I got rid of wood of low value when I moved, little pieces, softwood, sheet goods, etc.. but kept the larger hardwood boards. I got rid of tools I did not like much (one was a home made bandsaw). But I kept all the tools that I liked and wanted in my new shop. I rented a storage unit close to the new house. I wish I had shopped around more before selecting the storage unit, however. Being close to the new house was not a good criteria. Anywhere within 20 miles or so would have worked fine, the effort is mostly in the loading and unloading. Even 50 miles wouldn't have been a big deal. I think I could have saved several hundred dollars by using a cheaper place. But the one I rented was clean and relatively safe and maybe a cheap one would not have protected my tools and wood as well.

I have a pickup now but I did not during this move. I just rented you haul trailers when I needed one and pulled them with my small SUV. I would probably pull a trailer with my truck if I did it now. You don't have to lift things as far to get them in the trailer. Even the biggest Uhaul covered trailer is pretty cheap to rent for a day. Getting the covered trailer protects against rain and also means you don't have to tie things down for short distance moves. I moved my daughter several times and we typically just loaded the floor and made multiple trips. That allowed us to rest up during the drive.