Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving, what would you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Look into buying a used shipping container when you are closer to making the move. There are companies that specialize in selling and moving them. They are typically 20 and 40 feet lengths. Have it moved to the new home location and unloaded there. Their trailers are roll back flat beds and they self unload and load. They have a winch to pull the container on. You just need an accessible level place to unload it. When you have it emptied you can always resell it. Just a thought to consider.
    I agree with Ronald. Check out the prices. Locally there is a company here that rents these things out. My wife had a cousin who bought a couple to use as storage around his farm.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for all the reply’s. Can’t put a storage unit in the property, so that’s off the table. I don’t really know when my new home
    will be finished. Will be at least a year,probably more. I’m really up in the air at this point. I’m going to try to rent a house with a 2 car
    garage and hopefully can store (not set it up) in there.It’s the unloading of heavy equipment that worries me. My wife isn’t as strong as
    you used to be! Lol.

Thanks,that’s a very nice offer, but we are building on Norris lake. Will be living near Knoxville until house is built.I suspect that’s a fair distance from you. Thanks again.

Congratulations on getting out of NY. Has to be tough leaving the “Queen of American Lakes”. During a recent move. I was surprised to see how much room my tools took up. For figuring how much space you need. I would measure each piece of equipment, at its longest and widest point. Figure out how many sq ft they take up. Then multiple by 120%, this should be close to how much space you will need to transport them. You really can’t stack anything on top of them. Good luck on the move.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I got rid of wood of low value when I moved, little pieces, softwood, sheet goods, etc.. but kept the larger hardwood boards. I got rid of tools I did not like much (one was a home made bandsaw). But I kept all the tools that I liked and wanted in my new shop. I rented a storage unit close to the new house. I wish I had shopped around more before selecting the storage unit, however..
    I like the way you think. Good opportunity to keep the good stuff and jetison things you really don't want anymore
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-27-2021 at 8:39 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Peek View Post
    Thanks,that’s a very nice offer, but we are building on Norris lake. Will be living near Knoxville until house is built.I suspect that’s a fair distance from you. Thanks again.
    John Jordan is near Knoxville. Perhaps he can make some suggestions for storage, etc. That said, you can store a LOT of stuff in a two vehicle garage as long as you're willing to park vehicles outside for the duration.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have done this 5 times now. Some internationally. Some local. My take: The answer will present itself depending on storage options. A couple times I left wood and other equipment at friends barn (or garage) for a period (over a year). Some of that ended up abandoned because the next move from there posed logistical issues. Another time I was able to drop a truckload in a family barn at an intermdiary state (this was cross country move). That was 3 years before getting it. Another time I rented a local storage, about $200/mo. That was about 5-6 months.

By far the best answer is if you can rent a house where you can store it in your garage. It doesnt get strewn out all over the place that way. And you can 'use' some of it (hand tools, etc) if need be. As mentioned, you really can store a lot in a 2 car garage if not trying to use it at the same time.

I mentioned in some other posts that one of the moves i packed the hand tools with food vacuum bags. A little WD40 and sealed them up. That worked great to prevent any time of surface rust.

My recent move I hired and it was expensive to find movers that can handle heavier equipment.

Good luck!!

By far the best answer is if you can rent a house where you can store it in your garage. It doesnt get strewn out all over the place that way. And you can 'use' some of it (hand tools, etc) if need be. As mentioned, you really can store a lot in a 2 car garage if not trying to use it at the same time.

I mentioned in some other posts that one of the moves i packed the hand tools with food vacuum bags. A little WD40 and sealed them up. That worked great to prevent any time of surface rust.

The OP doesn't say specifically but it sounds like the move will happen when his new home is finished. Just my take. If he indeed is moving twice then the renting a home with a 2 car garage that could be an option as you say. Otherwise a shipping container could be a great option. Buy it, load it, have it moved, and sell it when finished unless you decide it is something worth keeping. That depends on lot's of unknowns.

The vacuum bags or even ziplocks with WD40 coating them is a great idea regardless. One never knows how long it will be before you get back to a specific tool. He will be going to an area that can be hot and humid.

I might have missed it, but what tools do you have?

If we are talking a 15” planer and delta unisaw, then I’d sell them in a heartbeat and purchase other machines 1-2 years from now. If you have a wadkin pk as your main saw and similar machines, then you probably want to hang on to them and go through the hassle of moving and storing. Used machine prices are at an all time high right now, and I’m assuming you will be just fine in two years to purchase new or used machinery in a similar class.

When I move locally in a few years, I’m more than likely going to sell most of my wood and all of my machines. Great opportunity to start with a clean slate.

I've only ever moved across town with a shop full of equipment, and that was a pain in the butt anyway. Made a lot of trips with a borrowed or rented flatbed trailer and a pickup truck. My father-in-law has moved several times and he keeps downsizing each time he moves, to the point where he just keeps hand tools, small bench top or portable power tools, and a few select pieces of wood. He sells everything else.

My wife and I have been discussing the possibility of moving in a few years when we become "empty-nesters", and it would be a toss-up for me whether or not I would want to pay the shipping costs or just buy new stuff when I end up in a new place. I have a few machines with sentimental value, but the older I get, the less that's important. More than likely I'll just buy a 40' hi-cube shipping container, fill it with everything in the shop, and then hire a trucking company to transport it to wherever it's going. Build a new shop and keep the container for storage.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

A storage unit sounds right to me. Consider storing in New York till it's time to move it to Ten'see. You will have the ability to select and schedule the unit and you can probably enlist friends to help. In a year or three you may be moving to Oklahoma or somewhere different. All you may decide to part ways with some of that stuff and won't have to move it. If you decide to rent you can rent small and store some household stuff too. A local storage solution can take some pressure off the whole business.

There is no question in my mind that since the rental home has a two vehicle garage, that's what I'd use for storing what the OP decides to move and it's also the least cost option...no additional rent. I actually had a not-happy situation with the storage unit I rented for my material when we moved earlier this year when they suddenly raised the monthly rate 70% after only four months. I got it knocked back a little by protest, but shortly thereafter found a different solution here on our new property. The OP doesn't have that luxury, however, as he indicated he would have no access to the home build site until after the new house is built.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You never indicated what part of Tennessee are you going to? There are numerous Creekers in that state and they might be able to assist in some manner. I missed the follow up about renting a home and hopefully a garage. So a storage container during construction isn't an option? Because of covenants or zoning restrictions? If that's the case are you sure can build a shop? When we were looking for a place to build one subdivision we looked at didn't allow a separate unattached building and as I recall there was a restriction on how large the garage could be in relation to house square footage. You couldn't have a boat or RV parked on the property unless it fit in the garage.

I have lost my lease on my present shop, but have a 20' cargo trailer in which I store my ultralight airplane. The trailer will be used to move to a new location. If you bought a similar trailer at a good price you could simply resell it when the move has been completed.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Fifteen years ago, when I last moved, the local United Van Lines mover filled all my big stuff into a big trailer, and stored it at their lot for a couple months. My lock, their lot.

When I was ready they hooked a truck to it, and finished the delivery. As I remember the rental for the trailer was not terribly high, and the loading and unloading was kept to a minimum.

Might be worth a phone call.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.