Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Craigslist Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Land of Lincoln
    Posts
    2,073

    Craigslist Question

    Those of you that use or browse Craigslist looking for that machine you never knew you needed until you saw it I have a question. I frequently search those same ads in case something is to good to pass up. It RARELY is but that's not the question. My question is do you avoid any ad that doesn't give a phone number as a contact method? One time I answered an email only ad and within hours I was getting bombarded with scam emails. And they never replied so I knew I had been had. So even when the deal looks legit when there is no way to contact by any means except email I keep scrolling. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Anyway short of creating an email just for this purpose do you also avoid such ads? Just seems to me that listings without a phone number scream bogus. Does anyone have suggestions or methods they use or am I just over paranoid?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northern Florida
    Posts
    459
    IME it's relatively rare to see a phone number in ad. I wouldn't even think about publishing my phone number in an ad. Email is protected both ways. That is, you can't see the seller's email address and the seller can't see yours when you reply, assuming it's through the CL email reply link. I expect email replies if I place a CL ad and I don't hesitate to reply to ads with email. I don't know why you are having such bad luck but don't think lack of a phone number is any indication of a bogus listing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    6
    Craigslist now uses a masked email so they can’t see your email. The thing to never reply to is when they say, “just send your email address” or “email me directly at…”. That’s when they are just trying to get your email and spam you. If you email through the Craigslist system, then they can’t see your email address.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Orwell, NY
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Craigslist now uses a masked email so they can’t see your email. The thing to never reply to is when they say, “just send your email address” or “email me directly at…”. That’s when they are just trying to get your email and spam you. If you email through the Craigslist system, then they can’t see your email address.
    What Malcolm said..... I sell and buy a lot of things off Craigslist and have very little spam email, and that is with my actual email address displayed on my business website where any bot that happened down that digital alleyway could pick it up. The anonymous email system is great, the only downside I see is that if someone wants to contact me later the email expires after a few months or so. For instance I sold the last of our meat rabbit breeding stock to a lady who may be interested in buying the cages and equipment, but we won't know about selling it for a little longer. I sent her my actual email and she sent me hers so I can reach her again later if need be.

    Back before I was on Craigslist (pre-2006 or so) we used to sell unwanted items in a local paper called The Swap Sheet that operated solely by phone numbers, and it was really annoying getting called by drunk people in the wee hours, so once I got on Craigslist I was very pleased not to have to post my number.

  5. #5
    I never publish my email. And never call an ad with a number. Has to do with my hearing issues. And, I want all discussions regarding price, condition etc in writing. Prevents misunderstandings

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Back before I was on Craigslist (pre-2006 or so) we used to sell unwanted items in a local paper called The Swap Sheet that operated solely by phone numbers, and it was really annoying getting called by drunk people in the wee hours, so once I got on Craigslist I was very pleased not to have to post my number.
    Yep- When I sold my ‘57 Chevy (which was a mistake) I got a call at 2:30 in the morning from a drunk guy, clearly in a restroom by the background noises, wanting to know about the car for sale.

  7. #7
    No one is posting craigslist ads to get a few dozen random email addresses...

    I buy and sell a lot on CL and rarely use more than email. I have no desire to talk to anyone on the phone, and probably wouldn't reply to anyone who only gave a phone number - I much prefer handling the entire transaction over email.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    2,993
    As others have said, email using their forwarding service until I have a pretty good idea that the person and transaction are for real. When selling, there is no way I'd include my phone number or actual email. Any request to communicate outside of their anonymized system is a big red flag.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Land of Lincoln
    Posts
    2,073
    I don't recall the specifics of my attempt to contact a seller now. Maybe I stupidly gave my email address but I'm also thinking CL hasn't always masked the email either for the responder. I'm not sure. Thanks for the responses though. I've passed by several items because there was no way to contact besides email. I will look at it differently now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Hartland of Michigan
    Posts
    7,536
    Yahoo or Gmail? I stopped using yahoo because of the spam that gets through.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Land of Lincoln
    Posts
    2,073
    Actually through our internet provider and it has a spam filter that's good once you flag a sender. I didn't have a Gmail account at the time.

  12. #12
    Yes I have gone through the masked email system to respond to ads for machinery. But, I also have an email account, just for online purchases and such classifieds. Another e-mail for family and friends. A third for business stuff. I have been doing it this way for 20 years. It has saved lots of hassles and headaches. My daughter has an on line sales business and uses the same system of three emails. (For a gal that didn't get good grades in school, she sure has a sense for on line sales. She buys stuff off Craigs list and others such places and sells on ebay, and a few other sites. Some of her inventory, she imports directly. A little more and she could quite the day job.)
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 12-26-2021 at 10:26 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Yes I have gone through the masked email system to respond to ads for machinery. But, I also have an email account, just for online purchases and such classifieds. Another e-mail for family and friends. A third for business stuff. I have been doing it this way for 20 years. It has saved lots of hassles and headaches. My daughter has an on line sales business and uses the same system of three emails. (For a gal that didn't get good grades in school, she sure has a sense for on line sales. She buys stuff off Craigs list and others such places and sells on ebay, and a few other sites. Some of her inventory, she imports directly. A little more and she could quite the day job.)
    That makes a lot of sense right there!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lake Gaston, Henrico, NC
    Posts
    6,630
    I buy a lot of stuff off CL. I don't care if the contact is phone, text, or email. My email is listed publicly on my website, so it's not something I hide. I've never had any trouble telling if the seller was legit, and have had friends pick up stuff for me, multiple times. I never open a link in an email, and gmail does a good enough job that I never have had any trouble.

    The only thing I've ever sold on CL was a hydraulically controlled grading blade, for several thousand dollars. We used both phone, and email in that sale. It went fast, and smooth. I had no trouble telling the buyer was legit, and it was a cash only sale. I loaded it after I had the cash in hand.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-26-2021 at 12:49 PM.

  15. #15
    ive done craig and kiji, framing nailer Tig welder and more, so far havent had an issue. One type of car ive tried to buy disappointing there were so many moron owners when it should draw a whole other class of people. Ive met some Hillbillies.

    One car was being curb sided and I had time into it so called the cops, cop didnt know what curb siding was and was giving me a hard time, called back next day got the same cop said thanks im not continuing with you and just left it. Youd think a cop who didnt know that would have gone and asked after.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •