Thread: A lesson from Golf

A lesson from Golf

I used to get frustrated and angry when I made a bad shot, swearing and slamming the club into the ground. No not every bad shot but maybe once or twice in a round. When I threw a club it was time to do something, it was embarrassing. I quit letting my emotions show, (don't let it out). Once identified this was not difficult.

Some weeks or years later I realized that I liked golf better. I had achieved the second step. (don't let it in). Today I accept bad shots and laugh at myself.

Learned it on the golf course but it applies to woodworking and many other activities

Don't let it out - Always understood that one, but still have way too many outbursts (in the shop, on the road, yes, on this forum).
    Even better - don't let it in.... now you're really onto something with that approach. Got some contemplation to do on that one.
    Thanks, Tom. I needed that.

In private I may roar about some thing but in public I will often try to keep it inside me. As far as laughing at myself. The only advice I am qualified to give is "As you get older, you had better learn to laugh at yourself or you could live an AWFULLY long time. Key word in the previous sentence is awful!"
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I used to get frustrated and angry when I made a bad shot, swearing and slamming the club into the ground. No not every bad shot but maybe once or twice in a round. When I threw a club it was time to do something, it was embarrassing. I quit letting my emotions show, (don't let it out). Once identified this was not difficult.

Some weeks or years later I realized that I liked golf better. I had achieved the second step. (don't let it in). Today I accept bad shots and laugh at myself.

Learned it on the golf course but it applies to woodworking and many other activities
    You do know the reason it's called golf? All the other four letter words were taken.

In the words of a famous Minion (love those guys)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Blog Entries
    Over my 10 years or so with the Sawstop, I’ve had four brake fires, all my fault and none involving flesh. I force myself not to get mad. I think of it like an insurance premium. This is what I signed up for when I got the saw.

Now, if I cut myself or miss with the hammer, I really let go. It turns out that swearing releases dopamine which helps with the pain.

Don’t let it in.

Fantastic. Thanks.

Golf is magical and diabolical. It's the only game in town that will get you to pay big money to curse, hate yourself, and feel incompetent. And you keep doing it over and over and over....
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Golf is magical and diabolical. It's the only game in town that will get you to pay big money to curse, hate yourself, and feel incompetent. And you keep doing it over and over and over....
    Eh, golf is dirt cheap, at least on a per-shot basis. If you're paying too much for each time you swing the club, there's a simple fix: just hit the ball more often.

And remember the Six Magic Words, "Wait your turn, I'm STILL away!"
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Golf is a rare game that is very difficult to play at the pro level, but a guy that looks like John Daly can win tournaments. All it takes is one good shot in 18 holes to keep me going. A bad shot on every hole is routine so what, me worry?

Jim

My neighbor is playing golf every chance he gets. He said it is a Metaphor for Life. Hes asked me to help him remove and put new handles on clubs, he said we use compressed air. It worked excellent.

Clint said dont let the old man in. Easier sometimes over others to just stay quiet when stuff goes south, or east or west

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barkelew View Post
    Golf is a rare game that is very difficult to play at the pro level, but a guy that looks like John Daly can win tournaments. All it takes is one good shot in 18 holes to keep me going. A bad shot on every hole is routine so what, me worry?

Jim
    ...If I could play one round on Mars I'd find water....

The movie "Tin Cup" is a great woodworking movie, if you look at it the right way. It is about what motivates and guides a persons actions in life.
    In the movie,
    One person is motivated by winning games and reaping the associated rewards to provide him with the lifestyle that he wants. He “plays the game”, his competition is the other player, his focus on using the rules, beating his opponent and winning the game. He is not really interested in golf, he is interested in winning, golf is just a vehicle for him to do that.

The other player is motivated by making the best shot, every shot, his competition is himself. whether he wins or loses the game is secondary to playing the game the best he can.

In woodworking, some do the best work that they can, even though it is far more then required. Others do just enough to get paid.
    In politics, some senators will vote their conscience and stand up for what’s right, other have no conscience and say whatever they need to win.

Life is like a game of golf.

Some are motivated by what they do, others by what they get.