Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio in the shop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Audio in the shop

If you are need of an audio solution (music, TV, videos, blogs, etc.), these are the bomb for the money. These little Bluetooth speakers are perfect for the shop. They are powered (own amplifiers) and have multiple inputs: BT, RCA, optical. I just wanted BT. Paired easily to tablet or phone. Best of all they sound great and only cost $107! The need was there and the price was right. They are Edifier RM1280DB. So if you are looking for a simple sound solution on the cheap these may be the answer. Hundreds of positive, and in-depth reviews.

Attached Images Attached Images

I wish these were around when I was stringing wire through the attic for my shop sounds.
    Please provide a link. I did not see any specific links for “Edifier RM1280DB” when I Googled.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I wish these were around when I was stringing wire through the attic for my shop sounds.
    Please provide a link. I did not see any specific links for “Edifier RM1280DB” when I Googled.
    Oops It R1280db.

Here is one link. Many youtube videos too.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Edifier has many models. The 1700's (or something like that) sound a bit better, but they are more money.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    If you are need of an audio solution (music, TV, videos, blogs, etc.), these are the bomb for the money. These little Bluetooth speakers are perfect for the shop. They are powered (own amplifiers) and have multiple inputs: BT, RCA, optical. I just wanted BT. Paired easily to tablet or phone. Best of all they sound great and only cost $107! The need was there and the price was right. They are Edifier RM1280DB. So if you are looking for a simple sound solution on the cheap these may be the answer. Hundreds of positive, and in-depth reviews.

Nice speakers. I use Amazon Echos as speakers in the shop. That way I can control what is playing by talking at the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Nice speakers. I use Amazon Echos as speakers in the shop. That way I can control what is playing by talking at the speaker.
    Those little speakers are excellent for the money.

I use my own personally selected playlist of over 11,000 songs streamed from a cheap tablet. I just let it play on random. If I hear something I'm not in the mood for, the speaker's remote lets you skip forward. But, in general, I just let it play. Of course the player on my tablet lets me select artist/genre/year/ etc. from my song list. I don't want to have to work at it though. I was using an internet appliance, but didn't always like their choices. Plus, Internet connectivity in my shop isn't always reliable. I can still use any streaming service with the tablet. I just don't. I have enough to listen to and add more all the time.

Blog Entries
    Digital audio sure is handy in a dusty environment. I am not super pleased with the compressed format. I keep wanting to hear a Pono player. I use an iPod and a JBL flip some. I still use a cord. I think it sounds better plugged in. If I am not working and want to listen to music I use a 1979 Pioneer SX-780 and homemade speakers with an old, true 16 bit CD player. My kids Insist on vinyl records.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Digital audio sure is handy in a dusty environment. I am not super pleased with the compressed format. I keep wanting to hear a Pono player. I use an iPod and a JBL flip some. I still use a cord. I think it sounds better plugged in. If I am not working and want to listen to music I use a 1979 Pioneer SX-780 and homemade speakers with an old, true 16 bit CD player. My kids Insist on vinyl records.
    The quality of music via BT is somewhat controlled by the quality of the DACs processing the received data. In my house I use an Audio Engine B1 BT receiver connected to my amp. It has excellent 24-bit DACs making BT almost as good as wired optical... not quite but close. The DACs in these little speakers are pretty good, especially for what it the cost.

The biggest quality issue for me is the recording level used on the digital files. Because I have acquired music from all over the place, the volume is also all over the place. I've tried sound leveling software, but I just have too many files and it hasn't been all that effective. It helps, but not as good as I'd like.

Achieving great audio quality is a nice thing...in an environment that can make it shine. I can't bring myself to get too particular in my shop or even in my vehicle because in those environments, there are so many compromises that there would be not likely be any major perception of a difference under most circumstances. So a set of nice speakers like the OP posts about and a reasonably good audio source can do the trick in the shop, IMHO. That said, when I get a shop building up, our old home theater receiver and sub will be moving into the space and four Soundolier flat panel 2'x2' full range ceiling units I took out of a conference center years ago will be the ticket fo what I hope is an enjoyable listening situation. (those flat panels were designed for music reproduction and were innovative for their time) My audio source at this point is an Echo (Alexa) unit that streams WXPN.org or from my iTunes library.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have wanted a nice audio setup in my shop for a long time, but am just not that motivated to put too much into as I currently use my phone and wireless AirPod pro noise cancelling ear buds (with 30db muffs on top sometimes) pretty often. I have a cordless Makita job site radio that I plug my phone into when I know I’m not going to be making noise with machines and tools for a stretch of time, but the sound quality is fair to passable. It has spent years both in shops and on job sites and I don’t have to worry about dust / impact and it’s extremely portable.

I have a goal of putting a couple of pairs of surplus vintage speakers that didn’t make the cut in our tiny house (JBL and KLH) to use in the shop with a rebuilt 70s era Sansui integrated amp paired with a Bluetooth receiver for phone music and an old iMac for ITunes library. I worry about the dust, but maybe I can build a cabinet with a glass/plexi door or front to keep the amp in. I don’t know if one of the smaller / portable BT speaker setups has enough volume and bass to satisfy me, but everyone is different.

I agree with Jim that it’s really just not worth the audiophile fight in the shop because of the massive compromise in environment, but I’m spoiled from my house setup of Klipsch Cornwalls, vintage Sansui, nice DAC, 2 turntables and about 1000 LPs.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 12-25-2021 at 2:58 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    I use the high quality encoder when I import into iTunes. It is slow and the files take up more room. The playback volume is more consistent. The sounds is better. Our kids keep telling me iTunes no longer exists?
    I just spent some time looking at past speaker project SMC posts. Speakers are fun woodworking projects. I bought digital plans for the Jack 12 from Bill Fitzmaurice. Hopefully I will follow through soon. I have also been reading about the Voigt Pipe, those would be a fun project.

It's just been rebranded. I also fully agree that it's pointless to do anything other than setup for passive listening. I use lossless formats when I rip, but I mostly just use streaming services, played through an old two channel receiver, when I'm in the shop anyway. Proper listening, I typically use physical media.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Our kids keep telling me iTunes no longer exists?
    On MacOS, the old iTunes application was split up into separate applications and one of them is Music. It handles both personal content and streaming music including Apple Music. File handling is via the Finder and no longer in the app. This mirrors functionality on the iDevices that are inherent in iOS. On Windows, the application is still iTunes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m a Sonos fan. I don’t have any in the shop yet but I’ll order a couple more soon.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I’m a Sonos fan. I don’t have any in the shop yet but I’ll order a couple more soon.
    I love me some Sonos - got my first setup back in 2010 - a Sonos Amp, a pair of outdoor speakers, and an iPod Touch in a waterproof case. Made using the hot tub very enjoyable. I now have way too much money invested in Sonos products, but I love the platform.

Blog Entries
    I loaded an old iPod with a "Canadian Folkies and Rockers playlist" and put it in our daughter in laws stocking. She asked if I would recreate it in Spotify instead. I was a bit deflated. Her brother in law
    (a musician) said "Spotify is from the devil, they don't pay royalty's". I still buy CDs. I also check them out from the library. I am fairly confused about what is proper?
    Thanks Jim. We just got a hand-me-down Mac. I am a dufus on the PC. Some say Apple is more intuitive.