Thread: Arbor Nut For Steel City and Sears 22140 (Zipcode)

Arbor Nut For Steel City and Sears 22140 (Zipcode)

Many parts for Steel City and Craftsman zipcode table saws are difficult to to obtain because Steel City is out of business.

I wanted an arbor nut for my Craftsman 22140 zipcode saw and it calls for part #91050, which is unavailable through Sears Parts, E-replacement Parts, McMaster's and others. Being that the arbor appears to be an Acme thread I also checked Acme, Fastenal, and Grizzly without success.

I called the Canadian parts dealer listed on the Steel City website (they bought the SC parts inventory) and they only had the nut if you purchased an entire arbor assembly. However, they mentioned that an arbor nut for a Delta Hybrid left tilting saw might fit. There many model numbers and variations for the Delta Hybrids

I found one that did fit: E-Replacement Parts, part # A06325 Arbor nut @ 2.99. Fits perfectly!

Even if you were to find the original arbor nut OR91050 it may not fit because I was told that SC changed the design of the arbor/nut at some point without changing the part number. Go figure!,
    Last edited by Paul Wunder; 04-30-2016 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add McMaster's

Glad you found something Paul. I'm far from expert but one thing i've learned from reading SMC and buying used power tools--many of the nuts & bolts involved in the assembly of tools are not special-made. They come from places like McMaster-Carr or Essentra or the Chinese/Taiwanese equivalent. And apparently many Ace Hardware stores have left hand thread 5/8" arbor nuts in a few different pitches. Now that you found one, consider taking it to a good hardware store, find the pitch and mark it somewhere on the saw. Then next time you need one--you'll be looking for exactly what you need instead of guessing on what model number might interchange.

earl

Earl, thanks. Good idea. Whoever would have thought that this would be necessary. I am surprised that a Delta part would even still be available.

When i look at used (not vintage) equipment, i often pop into e-replacement parts or the mfr web site to what's available "just in case". Often many of the commonly available items like hardware is listed as discontinued but that makes a degree of sense because it's more efficient to let the retail trade stock them. It's also much cheaper to buy a few dollars worth of hardware locally than to pay to ship it. Even things like return springs for jointer guards can be sourced with a little looking (farm supply or hardware store--can't recall where i found it!!)

earl

I found the nut on a delta at lowes: DPEC002962

Hi, new update. I have a Steel City cabinet saw model: 35600, s/n:L4507 which the owner's manual calls for an arbor nut, Steel City p/n: or91050. THANK YOU!! Herman Susser, you were absolutely correct the Delta p/n: dpec002962 does indeed fit my table saw. The only difference is that the wrench required for the original nut is 22mm, where the wrench required for the Delta nut is 23mm. I can't thank this site enough for this information, I was just about to have a machinist make me one, which would have cost me a lot more than the $6 at ereplacementparts.com, with shipping it was approximately $16. Well worth the investment to have a spare, because I KNOW, I'm going to drop and lose the original.

I understand the arbor nut for my delta 12/14 saw is not acme it is square threads. They look very similar at first glance.
    Bill D