Thread: leveling the infeed/outfeed tables with a DeWalt 735x benchtop planer

leveling the infeed/outfeed tables with a DeWalt 735x benchtop planer

Happy Holidays to all!!!
    I have a question regarding the technique of leveling the infeed/outfeed tables to decrease the occurance of snipe. In a review of benchtop planers, in a recent Wood Magazine, the writers suggested setting a slight tilt on the front and back edges of the tables. Has anyone had success implementing this technique with the DeWalt model?
    Secondly, the base of the planer does not having leveling Allen set head screws. The stamped metal trays have sloted holes (3) on each side. Is it more successful, and time efficient, to adjust the screws on one table side then the other, or is there a better method?
    In advance, thanks for your responses, suggestions, and guidance.
    Mark Mrsa

Blog Entries
    I have had success with this. I place a straight edge through the planer and raise both tables outer tips till the straight edge is off the platen about the thickness of a dime. Others have reported good success with the tables dead flat. Since you are asking I will assume yours does not perform snipe free with this alignment. The slightly elevated outer edges work most (99%+) of the time for me. As with all fixed cutter/reference surface machines, feed path control is your friend. If the stock is long or just plain heavy it will try to deviate per gravity's request ;-) Good stock support for long or heavy pieces will help with snipe as well.

Planer Snipe.jpg
    You are trying to prevent this from happening.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-23-2021 at 10:04 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have tried both ways to setup the infeed and outfeed tables, neither seem to work better than the other. Some boards snipe other don't. I have the best luck running the boards at a slight angle.

The technique can help if you are running mostly thin, somewhat flexible stock. The less flexible the stock is then raising the wings will work against you since the board will fight the rollers and want to stay straight, causing in effect the opposite of snipe. As with most things, try it and come to your own conclusions based on your machine and how you use it.

I have done what Glenn suggests and I always add a little upward pressure, gentle, on the piece as it comes out. Brian
    Brian

I could never get those in/out feed tables adjusted to run snipe free. With heavier boards they will flex some. So I ditched the tables and use roller stands on both sides of the planer. I set those a bit higher than the planer table and that works well for me.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I found that slightly above level minimizes the almost negligible snipe on a 735 planer. It's good level, but better with the tables slightly raised.

Charley

I agree with Brian, a little upward pressure on longer and heavier stock works great. This can be needed on indeed and outfield. I rarely get any snipe anymore.