Thread: Inspection Process for High School Woodworking shops in Ont Can

Inspection Process for High School Woodworking shops in Ont Can

Is an one up on how the whole inspection process works in High School Woodworking shops in Ontario Canada. At the college level I know one that has CSA inspect twice a year. Okay fine then what do copies go to insurance companies from there or to some branch of the ministry.

If a machine fails an inspection can a school still use it without having it repaired. My view that is not possible. Any direction appreciated or where I can call to ask.

Although not directly applicable, here are some links to US OSHA information on woodworking hazards and controls. Hope this helps!

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/f...s/osha3157.pdf

https://www.osha.gov/woodworking/hazards-solutions

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regul.../1910/1910.213
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Is an one up on how the whole inspection process works in High School Woodworking shops in Ontario Canada. At the college level I know one that has CSA inspect twice a year. Okay fine then what do copies go to insurance companies from there or to some branch of the ministry.

If a machine fails an inspection can a school still use it without having it repaired. My view that is not possible. Any direction appreciated or where I can call to ask.
    I would be surprised if it were legal. Could someone use it? I guess, but it would be risky proposition in the U.S. operating a piece of equipment with a known deficiency. I'd imagine Canada is similar though I don't know.

Thats my view otherwise why would they not have to have stuff inspected on an ongoing basis. At present im looking at a item listed deemed in service till 2021.The Colombo in me carefully removed inspection stickers back past 2017. The machine was deemed unsafe on the stickers from 2017 on every inspection. So things are not adding up. Its either in service or it was deemed unsafe and the stickers say so for the years it was inspected.

I said put money were your mouth is and supply the inspection reports they are on your school board Portal. They just don't seem to be hearing me. Imagine that. Something stinks and I will find out. 40 years and only two bad auction experiences and both high schools. Lucky I went to the college system and at a time before all the red tape. Those old europeans would not be allowed to teach now, no fancy piece of paper with degrees.

To anyone using Gov Deals be aware that you will be the guy if there are any issues. They know me now. Its not the typical thing where you deal with the Auction Company that is the seller. Mark has kindly shared even how some of that can go south. I taught the first school they should not to treat people badly, it was resolved plus an apology. In the real world they would be in business for a week then it would get around and no more work. They live in their little Utopia and say we have Diplomatic Immunity read the fine print. Sometimes though it gets revoked even if at least temporary. The most incompetent people ive met in this trade in that long time period are in High School Woodworking.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-23-2021 at 1:09 PM.

I’d say that it would depend on why the machine failed. If there’s a major electrical or machine guarding issue, then you probably can’t use it, not should you. However, if it’s something like the wrong color of wiring, or something where it’s safe but not compliant, someone at the school would have to evaluate that risk and make a decision. Larger question is: if equipment is failing the inspections, why aren’t the deficiencies getting fixed?