Thread: Reverse Osmosis Systems

Reverse Osmosis Systems

Rather than continue hijacking the tread any further about water filtration and faucets I thought I'd start a new thread.

Our unit has been in since 2014 and is doing what we asked of it. The plumber that put it in doesn't work on them any more so we're been having to trouble shoot things ourselves when things go south. This unit has to have the filter's changed every six months and a sanitizer (bleach) circulated yearly. Due to our age we have to ask our son in law to help us with it. We have this unit: https://www.premierh2o.com/pages/sea...age?q=WP500032 According to their website this unit should last forever as long as you maintain it and change parts as they wear out like the faucet and tank.

I recently saw this unit and it looks pretty interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfro...aterdropFilter Changing the filters looks like a breeze compared to the one we have however they're a lot more expensive. Maybe other manufactures will move into this technology in time.

If you use reverse osmosis what has your experience been?

I live in a well area with a ton of iron and have a substantial water treatment selection. When I moved in I had it tested and realized the small equipment that was there didnt cut it. I put in 2 sediment filters, large comercial softenter, Greensand filter, UV filter, and RO for drinking. After installed we realized all of the filtration especially the RO lowered the PH to 5 something so I added a Neutralizer at the beginning of the process. After 5 years the Culligan equipment was nothing but problems So I removed the sediment filters, softener, greensand, and Neutralizer. And replaced with new softener, neutralizer, and the greensand was replaced with a Hydrogen peroxide injection. The RO all the while did fine. The filter change schedule Culligan gave me had to be improved.

I change filters on the RO yearly. After all the other equipment its not even really a necessary system. I blow down my well tank and bleach the piping in the house yearly. But the RO system shouldnt require bleaching.

Does your house have other filtration equipment in it?

RO water tastes boring.

I have a Kinetico RO unit. First one lasted 13 yrs All you have to do is change the pre filter and post filter when the indicator tells you to, mine last a little over a year. Filter changes are quite easy. The systen as a small tank and some how uses house water pressure to push the water from my basement to the drinking water faucet. Good out flow for both the faucet and refrigerator ice maker.

I do have a whole house water filter and a water softener.

The RO unit installed is not inexpensive.....around $850 I believe.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Does your house have other filtration equipment in it?

George we do have a sediment filter because one year we had a drought and sand was ending up in the water.

Regarding the bleach, the manual for the Watts unit we have clearly says to sanitize the system yearly with bleach. No big deal for me because when I worked in a creamery on the Grade B intake I had to disassemble the pipes and sanitize the system at the end of every day.

It looks like newer units are more user friendly.

All I have as far as filtration is a simple filter from Lowes or HD. It uses these https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-A...ter/1000575883
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    The RO unit installed is not inexpensive.....around $850 I believe.
    I have the Kinetico K5 RO unit and it was about double that cost installed in 2014. I feel it is worth it compared to the cheap RO units that fail after a few years and can cause water damage when they fail. I have my Kinetico K5 remote mounted in my basement which the cheap RO systems usually can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I have the Kinetico K5 RO unit and it was about double that cost installed in 2014. I feel it is worth it compared to the cheap RO units that fail after a few years and can cause water damage when they fail. I have my Kinetico K5 remote mounted in my basement which the cheap RO systems usually can't do.
    I have the K5 also. Guess my memory isn't so good. I stand corrected, Brian is correct, cost was more like $1,600 give or take $100.
    George