Thread: Rack for finishing large, heavy parts

Rack for finishing large, heavy parts

I saw a picture of the type of mobile racking I think I'd like, does anyone know where to get one like this?

Any suggestions otherwise? I want it to handle almost anything from small game boards to large cabinet doors and table parts. I like the long removable arms of this one. The cabinet door drying racks I see don't look sturdy enough, but maybe they are? I've been looking for a used one to no luck.

89158457_3238125332883619_7223316740472569856_n.jpg
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Here's one option https://fastrackequipment.com/collec...ts/drying-rack . You might look for a used baker's rack.

I would look a companies that supply automotive body shops. They use lots of different racks in their spray booths.

I have a few bakers racks that I use to store short material but don't use them as drying racks. Without an opening on one of the long sides I struggle to get pieces into the rack without messing up the finish.

I’ve given them away and don’t have pics but I made a couple that worked great. Basically two A frames made from 2x4s. Using 1/2” conduits about 18-24” long for the racks drill holes in the edge of the 2x4s about 3” apart and cut the end of the 2bys at a 10 degree angle for the bottom and mount the A frames to a base with casters. Space them according to what you are spraying. I made one with 3 frames on the same base so I could use two close ones for short pieces like small drawer fronts or the outside two for longer pieces. Also had a couple bakers racks. Both the A frames and the bakers racks are two sided so you can put a lot of stuff on them. They are for drying.
    For spraying I put 2x4s across sawhorses, spray then immediately move them to the drying racks. I’ve put 16’ molding on a 3’ wide rack with no problem.
    Hope this makes some kind of sense.
    Last edited by Steve Jenkins; 12-22-2021 at 9:32 AM.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Slight twist, but if you have a wall available as I do in dedicated finishing room, you'd be amazed how well a series of 2x4's lag bolted to studs can work. Carefully aligned holes bored with Forstner bit, 3-4' long sections of 1/2" electrical conduit, and you have an infinitely adjustable wall rack.
    If you have a wall to spare.
    Obstructs about 40 sq ft of floor space (still sneak sawhorses underneath), but unlike a rolling rack, you can reclaim that by simply pulling all the pipes. Yes, you can find folding/expandable racks like your image, but seems the last time I checked, you'll need a solid grand or two to get into one. Check Hafele - their specials can be pretty good. I have their white small parts rack as well, and on a good sale, just a few hundred bucks.
    FWIW
    jeff
    finishing wall rack.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 12-22-2021 at 10:46 AM.

purple rack looks good, the dowels should extend through to the other side so both sides can be used.

Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

The Hafele expandable racks are about the nicest Ive seen. I think they make single sided and two sided. Spendy though theres no way you could build one for what they cost.
    https://www.hafele.com/us/en/product...1a4eb00150023/

P.S., for not much more they offer a tripple that would be even better. I always lusted for these because they are collapsible
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 12-22-2021 at 1:01 PM.

What I'm seeing for the larger racks are 3 similar products with quite different pricing:

$664 ProDryingRack EX, 30" deep shelves
    https://thepaintline.com/collections...products/pdrex

$1395 FastRack Drying Rack, 25" deep shelves
    https://fastrackequipment.com/collec...ts/drying-rack

$1095 Häfele ProDryingRack - on sale from $1350, 30" deep shelves
    https://ktinventions.com/product/mul...rack-00791060/

The Häfele and the ProDrying rack look to be identical...I am guessing the cheaper is the knock-off? I wonder if there is a quality difference.

For smaller racks, there's a few options:

$472 ProDryingRack, 18" deep shelves
    https://thepaintline.com/collections.../prodryingrack

$700 Häfele Panel Rack, 18" deep shelves

$1250 FastRack Drying Tower, unique minimal contact shelves, 19" deep
    https://fastrackequipment.com/collec...inimal-contact

The larger racks look to offer more versatility, with slightly reduced capacity.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

If you’re not opposed to making one, they are not difficult to fab. I made one several years ago for a project I was working on. The supports are common electrical conduit covered with duct tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

#3 in your list is an outdated rack that Hafele no longer sells and you'd be pulling it re-branded/back doored from a re-seller with a $300+ bump in the price tag. #1 in your list is the replacement model offered by Hafele but your source is cheaper than them in my cart (from Hafele).

The collapsibility of the larger racks if you are spraying doors you stretch them out to 2' wide, if your spraying 8' molding stretch them out to 60" wide, not in use, collapse them all the way and shove them in a corner, is a no brainer unless youve got miles of square footage to spare. Thats a feature of the Hafele triple version (maybe your source has the tripple too) that you could have a rack for drying 12'/16' moulding runs as well as one to run doors on though the triple section doesnt gain you a lot for small parts.

In my shop racks like this are handy when needed and a total burden when not unless they are collapsible and easily stored. Most shop made versions even if they will collapse flat (cut ours on the CNC) they still dont easily expand for length. I recently had to spray a bunch of MDF trim and it would have been really nice to be able to stretch a rack out to 5' between standards as opposed to trying to gang up two smaller racks, forget about having the whole job on casters (my racks are not on casters).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    Slight twist, but if you have a wall available as I do in dedicated finishing room, you'd be amazed how well a series of 2x4's lag bolted to studs can work. Carefully aligned holes bored with Forstner bit, 3-4' long sections of 1/2" electrical conduit, and you have an infinitely adjustable wall rack.
    If you have a wall to spare.
    Obstructs about 40 sq ft of floor space (still sneak sawhorses underneath), but unlike a rolling rack, you can reclaim that by simply pulling all the pipes. Yes, you can find folding/expandable racks like your image, but seems the last time I checked, you'll need a solid grand or two to get into one. Check Hafele - their specials can be pretty good. I have their white small parts rack as well, and on a good sale, just a few hundred bucks.
    FWIW
    jeff
    finishing wall rack.jpg
    I did my wood storage with the same design but used 4x4's lag bolted to the wall and 3/4" galvanized pipe for the "shelves". It holds a surprising amount of lumber weight. I would expect 2x4's with ridged electrical conduit would be plenty strong for single sheets to dry on. It is a very handy and flexible design. When not in use it only takes seconds to pull the pipes out of the hole in the 2x4's and the pipes store in minimal space. For a drying rack I might try to include some sort of storage for the pipes when the rack is not in use. Maybe put pegs between the 2x4's and holes in the ends of the pipes so you could hang them up like brooms on the pegs when not in use???

P.S. The holes in the 2x4"s / 4x4"s need to be drilled at a slight angle so when the pipe is put in the hole it ends up flat. A round rasp on the front of the hole can be used to take a bit of wood off to fine tune how level the pipes are.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 01-06-2022 at 1:42 PM.