Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Dominos after Dry-fit

Removing Dominos after Dry-fit

I recently acquired a Domino XL and have been using it build a double sink vanity. Learning to think in metric has not been difficult but trying to remove a domino tenon after dry-fitting is a bear. The current method is using channel lock pliers to pull, wiggle and swear, usually a lot. I have sanded some down a bit but that is a hassle and don't want to use them for the final glue up. Is there a tool or trick that works better than my current solution?

I’ve noticed the same they can be so tight. I’ve given up buying them and make them myself for a perfect fit to suit my weather.
    Aj

I can’t recall where ai got this tip, but I have an assortment of sanded down dominoes for trial fits. They are all painted pink.

Blog Entries
    I suspect that Dominoes like biscuits swell with ambient moisture, which would make the tight fit. Some people store their biscuits in air tight containers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I suspect that Dominoes like biscuits swell with ambient moisture, which would make the tight fit. Some people store their biscuits in air tight containers.
    Never used Dominoes. Are they compressed like biscuits?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Put them in the microwave to warm then nicely. I live in a moist climate and even with Tupperware eventually the dominoes and lamello biscuits swell. Some use the oven, but I have found the the micro works fine.

Swear louder ... it helps
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Festool USA has a video on the domino sticking. It is normal for this to happen. Keep a pair Chanel locks around.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I've suffered the same problem, and I too have sanded some dominos slightly to allow an easier fit for dry-fitting, but that gets old after a while. But this:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    I can’t recall where ai got this tip, but I have an assortment of sanded down dominoes for trial fits. They are all painted pink.
    is an excellent approach. I'm going to adopt it now - keeping some sanded ones available only for dry-fitting; but using unsanded ones for the final assembly.

Yep, I have a bunch of sanded dominoes that I use for dry fitting. Someone should make slightly under size dominoes for this purpose. They could even be plastic. Should 3d print some.

The sanded ones also come in handy when you need just a little wiggle room to adjust a joint a bit.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Use one of these: End nipper.

Capture.JPG

Great for other tasks as well. Leaves a small crease without destroying the domino. Just grab the domino and give a wiggle (of the nipper).

I have a pair like these. The bend on the handle allows you to pull straight out much harder.

Bill D.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/h...workers-pliers
    Attached Images Attached Images

They make plastic biscuits to use for take apart joints, like table leaves. Maybe they make plastic dominoes?
    Bill D

I usually stick them in microwave for minute or so.....that works most of the time. Also, I do store them in air lock plastic bags.

Jim

One solution is to keep a small set of "testing" Dominos in the size(s) you use that are very lightly sanded so they are not so tight. Dye them a bright color to provide a visual clue that they are for test use only. Dominos are supposed to be very snug which is great for actual assembly but a challenge for dry fitting. You'll also need to lightly sand the 14mm Dominos that are associated with any knock-down joinery using the Domino connectors so they can slip-in and slip out (while still not being sloppy) for knock-down functionality.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...