Thread: Jet JDP-17mf. Used worth $500?

Jet JDP-17mf. Used worth $500?

I want to replace my bench top. This is local for $500 which I think it high but I’m not not 100%.

Video he sent shows no run out. I don’t know the age. The table only tilts and I’d prefer 90. Not sure if that’s a deal breaker or not.

Any experience with this press? A new Ridgid press is less than $400.

Through the roof sky high to me. Thats a pass.

One of those was the only drill press here from 2003 to last year, and worked fine. I used it with forstner bits up to 2-1/8" in hardwood, and to drill holes in steel up to 5/8". It had plenty of speed choices, from 200 RPM to over 3,000. I would still be using it except it belongs to the place where I work and live, and when I move away next year I will need one of my own, so I bought a Clausing from a school auction. I like the Jet built in light socket, with an LED bulb it provides great lighting. It only has 4+" of travel, which could be a down side. The one here was very reliable all those years, and never needed a thing done to it. There were days when I ran it for hours at a time, but not every day. I would say $500 is a bit high, depending on condition, but not unreasonable in my opinion. If I had found one locally for that I would have bought it last year.

Location? Seems high for Guinea-Bissau.

I had that same one and sold it for $200, which I thought was a really good price. I think I bought it for $150. That's way too high. Keep looking.

It depends on what it is worth to you. Tool prices, new and used are skyrocketing. However, that one looks like it hasn't had much care/mtce based on the surface rust. Offer less and see if they bite if you want it. The rigid does not compare to a JET honestly.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

That particular machine is probably about 15 years old.
    It's a good, solid, machine and very capable. As mentioned, it has quite a range of speeds, and it is low speed you really want. You can find a lot of machines in that size that will go down to ~500 RPM, and few that will go to ~320, but if it is the model that goes down to 200rpm, that is important. Drilling holes in wood is not always a high speed affair.
    Is it worth $500.00? I don't know, that seems a little bit high, but you have my absolute assurance that you will not find a new machine as well built as that Jet for $500.00 new, that goes down to 200rpm, for less than $500.00, and there aren't many older, "Vintage" machines that will go that low without a speed reducer.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The other consideration for a wood working drill press is quill travel, more is better. Yes, low speed is really required for woodworking, large diameter cutters require low speeds. I have a benchtop whose lowest speed was 550 RPM. I retrofitted a 3 phase motor and VFD. It will now go down to around 200 RPM, max probably 2200 RPM or so. Still only around 3 1/2" quill travel so drill, raise the table and finish the hole if required.

To me a proven machine that has no run out and other desirable features (low speeds) plus several endorsements from 'creekers' who have used one extensively would be worth what I had to pay. I would buy it ,take $500 cash and check it out then make an offer.

If it was three phase would buy it. My walker turner (became delta) 20 Dp has. a six inch stroke. Very nice for changing out silver/deming bits.
    Bill D

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-...ess-38142.html

I don't ordinarily recommend HF but this drill press is one of their gems at $299. 16 speeds from 220 to 3600 with a 3/4 horse motor. I bought mine about 10 years ago and I am still pleased. Very sturdy. No parts required replacement over my ownership.

I had one and sold it for $200. I got rid of it because of excessive quill slop.

It has no whiz bang electronics on it so that's good in my book. That stuff can't fail.

Honestly, I think I paid $499 for mine brand new "back in the day" but I could be wrong about that. That's way overpriced for used and it's just a simple DP. Decent quality, but nothing special.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...