Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using up scraps

Using up scraps

Long time ago (last Christmas..) I made a Blanket/Hope chest...with a Aromatic Red Cedar floor.....have used up most of the scraps of Cedar since then...still had a small stash left...
    Cedar Box Project, maybe.JPG
    Thought about making a small box out of this mess. Cross cut saw was waiting for use...
    A Cedar Box, cross cut saw.JPG
    And the only end that needed "shot" was a "Factory" end...
    A Cedar Box, 4 sides.JPG
    Thought maybe a box about this size....maybe some finger joints at the corners?
    A Cedar Box, usual first corner.JPG

Used a 3/16" sash chisel to space the fingers, and do the chopping out...
    A Cedar Box, ready to saw.JPG
    Disston No.68 was used to saw the lines,,
    A Cedar Box, marking some lines.JPG
    Use a No. 65 to mark the baselines...
    A Cedar Box, all chopped.JPG
    Also using some Ash scraps to help out...

Next time I meander to the shop...I'll see about getting the other 3 corners done...then see about a bottom and a lid
    2 Stanley SW tools.JPG
    The SW marking gauge..

Stay tuned...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Well, after the shop clean-up this afternoon, decided to get some work done, as well. Re-arranged to finger spacings a bit...soon had Corner # 2 dry fitted up..
    A Cedar Box, corner #2 done.JPG
    Looking a bit better, too....might as well get corner #3 done..
    A Cedar Box, corner #3 done.JPG
    Which left corner #4 to do....keep getting better fits....always the first one, that doesn't quite fit....by the time I get to the last corner..
    A Cedar Box, 4 corners done.JPG
    Both ends have a knot in them...but not in the same spot...

Decided a Poplar panel for the bottom will work....needed to cross cut a couple pieces..
    A Cedar Box, cross cut.JPG
    One wasn't wide enough, yet 2 were too wide....ripped the excess off at the bandsaw. Not the straightest of rip cuts ( never is) but that's ok, as a plane will straighten that out. Need a good glue joint edge..
    A Cedar Box, joint for a glue-up.JPG
    Clamped the 2 boards together in the vise, run the Millers Falls No. 9 as a jointer ( Size the plane to the work) and then some glue and clamps..
    A Cedar Box, panel glued up.JPG
    Bench vise acts as a 3rd hand ...and as a caul...let this sit a day...have done just enough in the shop for today..

Stay tuned...

Well, panel for the box's bottom is out of one set of clamps...needed edges trimmed for width....then the saw marks removed..
    A Cedar Box, Bottom, one good edge.JPG
    I wanted at least one good edge for the next step..
    A Cedar Box, Bottom, cut for length.JPG
    Where I trim the panel for length....then flatten the panel..cleaned up the glue lines, too...
    A Cedat Box, Bottom, flattened.JPG
    then set this aside with the rest of the box parts....
    A Cedar Box, ready for a glue-up.JPG
    Going to have some "fun" in a little bit...
    A Cedar Box, Stanley No. 358.JPG
    Cross cut saw....Stanley No.358.
    Part one of today's follies, stay tuned for Part 2...

Before I tore the box apart...I sized some Cedar for a lid. Intend to have finger tabs to lift the lid. Front/Back will need to be a bit wider...first. I need 2 blanks..
    A Cedar Box, lid parts, length.JPG
    Then mark how much to saw off as a rip cut..
    A Cedar Box, lid parts, too wide.JPG
    Decided a handsaw will do this job..
    A Cedar Box, lid parts, D-8.JPG
    So, take this down from the "Ready Rack"..been awhile..a Disston 20", 10ppi, D8 ( no hyphen)....should work out just fine on this thin stock...
    A Cedar Box, lid parts, almost done.JPG
    Saw down as far as I can, WITHOUT hitting the vise...flip around and finish the cut..
    A Cedar Box, lid parts, done.JPG
    Wipe the saw down, and hang it back up...and work on getting a good glue up joint..
    A Cedar Box, lid parts, glue joint prep.JPG
    Then some glue mooshed around, a few cauls, and a couple clamps..
    A Cedar Box, lid parts, glued up.JPG
    Cauls to keep things flat...as they wanted to bow up from the clamps...set this aside....and, since the glue, and the glue brush was still out....
    A Cedar Box, Cauls as needed.JPG
    Still had a few cauls available...
    Will let both sit a day, or two..no real rush.

Stay tuned...

No stores open today...Christmas Exchange Party (ate way too much.) was last night....so...might meander to the shop, and remove a bunch of clamps...and hope nothing flies apart...after that?

Stay tuned...

Happy Holidays, people!

Well...box is out of the clamps..
    A Cedar Box, clamps are off.JPG
    Bottom was planed smooth..
    A Cedar Box, planed the bottom.JPG
    All four sides were sanded and planed until smooth and squared up...then the rim around the top of the box was leveled..
    A Cedar Box, level the rim.JPG
    Then the box was set aside while the lid was cleaned up, and squared up..
    A Cedar Box, leveled the lid.JPG
    Fancy front was bandsawn...more sanding and some more plane work...while I dug out some hinges...
    A Cedar Box, hinge try-outs.JPG
    These came with nails?...Ahhh, I think..NOT! Will use tiny screws, instead...there is also a matching latch..
    A Cedar Box, we have a latch.JPG
    So....next time I head for the shop..I might try to install all the hardware?
    G-P No. 329, front.JPG
    Since I now have a much better (no plastic gears) pilot hole drill....

Stay tuned...

Well, I was just going to take a couple drills back to the shop, tonight...instead...

Fixed a Bandsaw

Re-handled a small hammer...
    Installed 2 hinges...after re-drilling a few holes in the brass..
    Cedar Box, PIP, hardware,back.JPG
    And adding a latch out in front..
    Cedar Box, PIP, Front view.JPG
    And adding a first coat of varnish.....

The bandsaw's problem? Piece of...junk in the lower guide blocks....had to remove the blade to clear...running good now

The hammer? Kept wondering why the head of the small ball pean hammer kept coming loose......turns out..no wedge, and the head was on upside down...Cleaned up the end of the handle, redid the wedge's kerf and made a new wedge....and installed the head on the handle the correct way...

Had to set up a second eggbeater drill....as the hardware needed bigger holes to clear the screws (instead of nails) and had to move one location down a bit...
    Drills, G-P vs Handyman.JPG
    A Blue Stanley. Had to sharpen the bit, too.

Normally, the shop stays closed on Mondays...

BTW: Found just enough thin pieces of that cedar, to make a small tray to stash inside the box...

Stay tuned

How much cedar does a box need for odor control? Asking because I don’t know. I got a pair of house shoes to wear upstairs in front of the wood stove for the holidays. Let us say they are wool and the cat is a bit too interested in them.

I am going to make a jointed box and put a cat proof latch on it. I routinely shower downstairs after work before I come up stairs for the evening. My feet are not especially stinky.

How much cedar should I use? And now I am thinking about vent holes the cat can’t get her paws through. When they aren’t on my feet these house shoes need to be boxed, lamb is one of the cat’s culinary favorites.

Thanks.

Home Depot sells a carton of Aromatic Red Cedar slats..to line a closet with...or a blanket chest....or even a shoe box. Slats are 1/4" thick, T&G, about 4" wide.....I'd have to check, but..I think the slats are 48" long. Tain't cheap, either. I picked up a caryon over a year ago..as last years Christmas Exchange Gift was a Blanket Chest....with a Cedar floor. The rest being Ash.

You can rip the tongue or groove off, then rip to match the height of the box....cut a 45 on the ends, and line the sides of the box..NO FINISH. You can even line the floor of the box...will help hold the sides in place.

Ok, decided to re-do the "Dolly Parton" lid....bandsaw to rough out a new profile...then..
    THE Cedar Box, refine the cut.JPG
    A chisel to refine it...the #101 plane to round-over the new edges..
    THE Cedar Box, nailed it.JPG
    Along each side, down at the bottom, are 3 brass nails. I pre-drilled through the Cedar, until I just started into the Poplar bottom panel. Then drove each nail home.
    THE Cedar Box, reshaped lid.JPG
    Lid looks a wee bit better? Started on a tray, tonight..
    THE Cedar Box, blank for a handle.JPG
    Should be enough to make a lift out handle, too. Planed all the parts, to remove the rough sawn side...
    THE Cedar Box, old smoothy.JPG
    And..make sure they were all the same height..
    THE Cedar Box, making curlies.JPG
    Had just started to cut the finger joints..
    THE Cedar Box, corner started.JPG
    When the bandsaw's blade broke......so..
    THE Cedar Box, Quitting time.JPG
    I guess that means it is quitting time!

Stay tuned

Up-date....will be at least a week, or two, before I can buy a new blade (or 3)....went back to the No.68...too coarse, AND I cut the wrong side of the lines for the matching end piece. Tossed that away...put the saw away...cobble a new end piece...
    THE Cedar Box, old smoothy.JPG
    That was a hair too fat....Dug around on the shelves in the shop....was unable to get the old 3-wheeler bandsaw out of it's hidy-hole....however...we have ways
    Sears Scrollsaw.JPG
    Hmm, once all the dust and cobwebs were removed....
    Sears Scrollsaw, Logo.JPG
    Sears Craftsman (Emerson) 13" tilting table, cast iron base Scrollsaw. Was last seen back when I made a key emblem for a Key Safe box....

Used the side piece as a pattern to follow...cutting on the waste side of the lines...and even left the lines...was still able to turn the blade around in the cut...dry fit required a small hammer..
    Sears Scrollsaw, results.JPG
    The Scrollsaw could use a smaller mouth opening....otherwise, seemed to work well enough. 1 done, 3 to go....

Had plumbing issues to correct, today....what we thought was a leaky hose on the clothes washer....turned out to be damaged kitchen sink drain line...where in hooks into the city line. re-connect, and fixed. Dryer vent connection will be next payday....old one was broken at the back of the dryer......didn't get around to any wood shop time, today.

Road trip tomorrow, and a Monday, to boot....might be a little bit before the tray is done.

Stay tuned..

Road trip to Lima, OH...final follow-up on my old legs...still have to wear special socks...otherwise, but to normal, for me..

Cause of the bandsaw blade breaking (bad?).....lower thrust bearing had frozen up....had to replace the bearing. While I have the bandsaw torn down...did some Maintenance on the area...table might even sit better, now...we'll see....as soon as I can get a new blade for the bandsaw.

Today being a Monday..shop was closed...had enough trouble with the bandsaw tear-down...need to clear off the bench, anyway...before I can do the 3 tray corners. Question being...how to attach a handle...finger joints? Sliding dovetails? Hmmm...

This being the Camel Day....gave the shop a try....needed 3 more corners cut and fitted...
    Cedar Tray, 4 corners done.JPG
    End on the right is a bit too thick...will plane down, later....set the sides onto the base..
    Cedar Tray, test fit of base.JPG
    Later, it will get glued in place...handle blank...
    Cedar Tray, handle blank.JPG
    Needs a cut made, mainly to get rid of that knot..
    Cedar Tray, rough cut handle.JPG
    Will sand things smooth, later...had Mortise and tenon work to do..
    Cedar Tray, mortise & Tenon.JPG
    Once the tenons were cut, I could put the scrollsaw away...and free up the bench...dry fit #1..
    Cedar Tray, dry fit one end.JPG
    Then the other end...and finally, just went ahead and glued things up...didn't even bother to sweep up, just took the camera back upstairs, and called and end to the fighting going on....even the shop stool was always trying to trip me up....that was quite enough "fun" for today.....always tomorrow,eh...

Stay tuned...

Well...glue-up had sat about long enough...might try in a little bit...say about 3:00 pm? need to get the bottom panel glued in place...and figure out how to fit this into the box..so that it won't rattle around...

Stay tuned...cussing MIGHT be required?