Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live Edge

I think it was from his stylings which in many cases were quite unique. But yes, his engineering, um...well...you know...um...wasn't too slick.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Frank Lloyd Wright drew and oversaw some awesome projects. He was lousy to his workers. Larger than life personalities who shaft their workers diminish their respectability beyond repair (to me). George Nakashima appears to have been a sweet and humble guy who created lots of really attractive and valuable furniture. I have made a few live edge pieces, Please God may any of them ever have a value anything near a Nakashima!
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-22-2021 at 7:34 PM. Reason: typo

My great respect from Nakashima, aside from the outstanding work and designs, comes from his philosophy which is pretty nicely detailed in his book, "Soul of a Tree". While there are certainly many times we can't necessarily "let the wood speak" as much as we like, we can at least make the effort.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have no problem with live edges when done tastefully. Even Sam Maloof used live edges in some of his pieces. However, I can think of no instance where hairpin legs improve a piece. In fact, I cannot think of an occasion when they didn't detract from a piece.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My great respect from Nakashima, aside from the outstanding work and designs, comes from his philosophy which is pretty nicely detailed in his book, "Soul of a Tree". While there are certainly many times we can't necessarily "let the wood speak" as much as we like, we can at least make the effort.
    In the UK, where every tree requires a permit to be harvested, furniture lumber appears in the lumber yard as a sliced up log. It is a lovely way to see "wood". Also a lovely philosophy!

I've saw some live edge stuff that was very nicely done and some that wasn't. It's not everyone's cup of tea just as there are many many different cars and trucks to meet the preferences of the population. I don't know how river tables will hold up over time but I could speculate. Make/create what you like. If you have a market for it that's even better. Obviously some of you support yourselves with your shop and talents. Everyone has an opinion about the different styles and that's as it should be.

Bill McNiel that was some beautiful work you linked to.

Andrew Hughes that tables in your dining room isn't it? Just kidding.

Blog Entries
    I googled "avocado green appliances". I see for sale a SMEG Portofino avocado green range $4000.00.
    I wonder if they are selling?

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I have never been able to understand why Frank Lloyd Wright is so venerated. An architect who designs buildings that leak when new and have so many structural problems is not doing much of a service to the world, in my opinion. Architecture as art or self-expression seems fine to me, as long as it is actually functional too. I would have thought that Fonthill Abbey (for instance) would have already pointed out the problem with avant-garde architecture going beyond the limits of feasibility long before his time, but I guess it didn't stick.

Exactly. His houses leaked and his furniture is incredibly uncomfortable. We have several FLW houses and industrial buildings near me in Buffalo, NY. The Darwin Martin House and Graycliffe (also built for Martin) have required 10's of millions of $'s to restore. I don't remember a live edge table in either, however, so there is that.

John

The Wright Brother's first flight was only 120 feet, but it changed everything.........Same with FLW in my mind, despite the leaks!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Exactly. His houses leaked and his furniture is incredibly uncomfortable. We have several FLW houses and industrial buildings near me in Buffalo, NY. The Darwin Martin House and Graycliffe (also built for Martin) have required 10's of millions of $'s to restore. I don't remember a live edge table in either, however, so there is that.

I think some of Wright’s reputation came from the Ayn Rand novel The Fountainhead. Certainly Roark and Wright “worked together “.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-23-2021 at 10:40 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    FLW was competition with the Bauhaus in the latter part of his career once he moved into modern type of design. I think Mies Van Der Rohe made buildings and houses with better structures but certainly FLW put out some incredible work that is much more appealing to live in, in my opinion.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    ...it does not take much actual ww'ing skill but it does bring folks into the hobby without having to invest a lot of money on equipment...
    Agree it doesn't take much woodworking skill. Disagree that live edge somehow ingratiates itself by encouraging newcomers into the woodworking hobby.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    No live edge but it is a chunky hunk of wood with skinny legs. It is our coffee table. I made this before Mid Century Modern was back in vouge, 1991 or so. The top is end grain Douglas Fir, The legs 1 1/4 solid hot rolled steel, the skirt is 1/4 thick inch steel bar. It is over due for a re-do. When I get around to it I plan to refinish the top natural and use some color on the legs and skirt.

IMG_0316.jpgIMG_0318.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-31-2021 at 6:29 PM. Reason: Lighting (still not good)

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I am not a fan...

I hope the fad dies off like Avocado kitchen appliances...
    I really was thinking live edge and epoxy stuff was an unanimity for US people.

I do not like live edge and above all I do not like epoxy festival lots of US youtubers looks to adore. Actually I do not know a single person in my relationship that like that... but I live outside the US.

You have my full solidarity.

Blog Entries
    I don't worry about the Epoxy you tubers. They will be needing more Epoxy every time the seasons change. I like the way Nakashima seasoned his slabs and used his joinery.

Reading these again my comment about avocado green sounds snarky which is not my intent, rather a reiteration of "to each their own".

I will try to get an image of the live edge crotch wood chair. It needs to come back to the shop for either a whole lot of Epoxy or to be completely redone George Nakashima style.