Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Live Edge

Some of the appeal of live edge table, when done well, is that they evoke the randomness of nature, that there is beauty in unpredictability.
    When people stick hairpin legs under a chunk of log it so predictable and lazy that it inverts any delight we might feel.

Most live edge tables I see make me angry - any lump of wood stuck on top of a rectangle of metal. No feeling for proportion, harmony or even materials, in spite of itself.

I agree on River tables,hairpin legs and epoxy. I think epoxy is o/k on a bar top, but that’s it. I think live edge is great
    in the right setting. I love it in rustic homes or even a special piece in a modern home. Also a solid wood live edge
    conference table can be beautiful. Here are a few piece’s I built for my very rustic home in the Adirondack mountains.
    They are built in the great camp style that is extremely popular around here. I know it’s not most people’s cup of tea,
    but everyone loves it here and are willing to pay big bucks for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also don’t know why,but when I attach pics they are upside down, tried everything, can’t fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Peek View Post
    I agree on River tables,hairpin legs and epoxy. I think epoxy is o/k on a bar top, but that’s it. I think live edge is great
    in the right setting. I love it in rustic homes or even a special piece in a modern home. Also a solid wood live edge
    conference table can be beautiful. Here are a few piece’s I built for my very rustic home in the Adirondack mountains.
    They are built in the great camp style that is extremely popular around here. I know it’s not most people’s cup of tea,
    but everyone loves it here and are willing to pay big bucks for it.
    How do you get all that stuff to stay on the tables??

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Some of the appeal of live edge table, when done well, is that they evoke the randomness of nature, that there is beauty in unpredictability.
    That is what I was aiming for with this piece. I hope with some small degree of success. IMG_0369.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Frank Lloyd Wright drew and oversaw some awesome projects. He was lousy to his workers. Larger than life personalities who shaft their workers diminish their respectability beyond repair (to me). George Nakashima appears to have been a sweet and humble guy who created lots of really attractive and valuable furniture. I have made a few live edge pieces, Please God may any of them ever have a value anything near a Nakashima!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    That is what I was aiming for with this piece. I hope with some small degree of success. IMG_0369.jpg
    I think your piece is beautiful.

I was a big fan of live edge and built a number of tables, never a river table or anything with hairpin legs. I always used unique designs for my legs and butterflies. That being said I can't stomach it any longer! All the river tables, hair pin legs, epoxy etc really turned me off and I no longer want to be involved with live edge pieces. Except for a floating wall shelf here & there but no more tables.
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I found a post of a live edge epoxy river table with hair pin legs.
    God help us
    I cant help but think this table (made of flooring material?) would look good in that kitchen with the upholstered cabinetry.

I'll admit to using hairpins on a storage table I needed to do in a hurry.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I made a ton or embarrassing live edge work over the years. I've made a ton of embarrassing 'normal edge' furniture as well. Most of the crap we make is because we don't have developed design sense and want to over-emphasize the latest little trick we learned whether it's life edge incorporation, butterfly keys, crazy figured boards, dovetails, or exposed joinery. All that stuff has its place, but it takes a lifetime to learn restraint and how to appropriately deploy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I made a ton or embarrassing live edge work over the years. I've made a ton of embarrassing 'normal edge' furniture as well. Most of the crap we make is because we don't have developed design sense and want to over-emphasize the latest little trick we learned whether it's life edge incorporation, butterfly keys, crazy figured boards, dovetails, or exposed joinery. All that stuff has its place, but it takes a lifetime to learn restraint and how to appropriately deploy it.
    Good post.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    I just watched The Secrets of Saint Louis a 1960's documentary. FLW gets a mention. I have been past the Wainwright building many times. Next time I will look up.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

How about Craftsman style through tenons? I make through tenons for a living, but they are traditional and had to see. Those Gamble House ones I never understood. Like exposed dovetails in contrasting wood, or butterfly patches, the Crafstman style stuff seems to shout about the maker, more than create a feeling through geometric design.

Blog Entries
    I hope to try some through tenons. I posted about a McIntosh repair I just did. repair a broken leg on a nice sideboard

The McIntosh leg joint is cool. This piece failed because the cross member was only dowelled. How cool would that leg joint be with a tusk tenon and peg for the cross member rather than dowels? (and thicker hardwood rather than slim Mahogany)?