Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live Edge

Live Edge

I am not a fan...

I hope the fad dies off like Avocado kitchen appliances...
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-21-2021 at 4:45 AM.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Agree..............
    < insert spurious quote here >

Allow me a contrarian view: Yes, it does not take much actual ww'ing skill but it does bring folks into the hobby without having to invest a lot of money on equipment, which is a win for everyone. Also, provides a viable outlet for (sometimes historic) salvage lumber rather than just ending up in a landfill or as firewood. I think I have a slab or two in the garage that came from storm-felled oaks that were in a local historic park. That being said, a guy came by the booth at our last woodworking show with a T-shirt that read "Death to River Tables", which we both had a good laugh about.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Death not to live edge
    Death to poor design.

Live edge has its place. It can be done very tastefully with practice.

But I agree most instances are live edge for its own sake. All bark and no bite.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Death not to live edge
    Death to poor design.

Live edge has its place. It can be done very tastefully with practice.

But I agree most instances are live edge for its own sake. All bark and no bite.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

It went through a similar but less dramatic craze in the late 60's/early 70's just like the cookie clock phase. Agree with Prashun but it will be a fad overall. The bigger prayer is death to epoxy river live edge. At that point your in the hat trick of fads, live edge, combined with the also 70's fad of encapsulating things in clear resin. When they say hold onto your bell bottoms because trend's always repeat.. its real fellas,.. oh yeah.. its real.

Blog Entries
    similar but less dramatic craze in the late 60's/early 70's
    In my area during that time was furniture made from wooden cable spools. One friend had a nice chair made of a cable spool with the bottom cut flat. Part of the center cut out the leather upholstered seat and back and the sides at the seat cut for arm rests. Many people had various size cable spools for coffee tables to dinner tables. Some were made into cabinets.

And yes, some of these were slathered with clear varathane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm kind of amused that woodworkers (I'm not, in case no one's guessed yet ) would be averse to Live Edge stuff (and I had to google it)... I like tables and benches with the original tree edges and bark. Looks like "real" wood, guess that would be because it is! -- and it's interesting...

We have a gorgeous $3500 dining set, and as nice as the table is to look at, it's veneer...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I like some live edge things I've seen, and some I don't. Actually I didn't much care for a Nakashima bench someone posted a picture of on here once, though I know he was a master craftsman. I tend to like it better in more rustic applications, I guess. Adirondack siding can even look good to me in some cases, though not always. I probably have bad taste, it would not be surprising to find out that was the case.

I found a post of a live edge epoxy river table with hair pin legs.
    God help us
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

My God! It's...alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    God help us
    Interesting use of trim instead of wasting time making a proper apron.
    earl

is the green stuff shag carpet? or is it algae

40 years ago or so in a shop of a fine woodwork guy as he was on the phone telling someone else hes making another Flintstones table

At least it matches the floor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    God help us
    That actually looks like it could be LVP flooring! That'd really be the crowning touch on that turd.

I'm with Eric. Anything that brings new people into woodworking, no matter the format, is OK in my book. I've seen beautiful live edge furniture and just awful stuff, too. And I've seen beautiful insert whatever style you like furniture and just awful stuff, too. And some well-respected styles I think are just ugly no matter how high the craftsmanship. It's all woodworking, people. And it's like golf; it can be enjoyed at any level.

John