Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knowledge, Skill, Effort, and Equipment: 4 Ways of Getting the Same Results?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    ...I spent a good bit of thought on my benches, one kinda designed from what I had, which
    has turned out to be very versatile, in some ways, I suppose I got lucky.
    There's another near completed scandi bench, minus end caps/tool well/vices under a stack of timber,

I copied the things l liked, whether you call that copying is up to you.
    Perhaps I should have said reproduction or verbatim copies.

In my case, it is obvious that there is a talent component which is lacking. Some people obviously have it, I do not, but that does not greatly diminish my enjoyment.

It is one thing to know what to do (knowledge) but the doing of it (skill) is an entirely different matter. As you point out, equipment/tools can bend the skill issue. Having good stuff makes life easier. Without effort, there is no skill. Without effort, there is no work accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Yes. Community.

You need to work with others, to see how they work, to show your work to others, to look at their work, to understand their attitudes, and to view fine work with others who are sensitive and knowledgeable.

On line communities, weekend workshops, and such are helpful, but no substitute for the real thing.
    I agree. I don't know what I don't know. My occupation required a few years of training under supervision. It took a few additional years before I developed good skills and confidence. Good woodworking may have the same requirements but we tend to slough that off because we can acquire a few skills on our own with persistence and emulation of what we see in magazines or on YouTube. There is no accreditation and no standards that must be met except a few basics - e.g. no drawers that stick or rattle or tables that stand on 3 out of 4 legs or gaps that can't be hidden with filler. What would I be if taught by someone with technical skill and good aesthetics? I'll never know, will I?

My neighbors are mostly young couples starting out. My wife and i love to see the young families and their children. The young men look to me as a knowledgeable old guy. They come to me to ask about working on their houses or other woodwork. I like to share my skills. I think I’m a fair teacher. My approach is to put a good tool in their hand and teach them what I know. Many of their skills are much improved and their tool kits have grown with good tools. In return I get to see what they have done. One neighbor is rebuilding his deck now. I helped him design and layout and I am a good board holder too. We’ll be doing stairs next. I gave him a nice aluminum framing square and a set of stair gauges for Christmas. In return when they see me working they always offer to help. I was cleaning up leaves a while back and the next thing I knew I had three helpers the yard was done shortly. It’s very rewarding to see someone learn what a sharp chisel is keep it sharp use it with skill and pass that along to the others. Pass on what you know its very rewarding.
    Jim