Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are you having for Christmas Dinner?

Actually, it is frozen sweet corn, not on the cob. Simple smoke with corn, butter, and bit of season salt. Done right, it is like vegetable candy. Takes about 1.5 hours depending on smoker temperature. Too long is not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I am home alone this year so I will fix myself a meatloaf.
    Wife helping out with the grandchildren? Sometimes I get my best woodworking in when I am alone at home.

Tamales, pork
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

The only way I prefer to eat sweet corn is where you can take a pot of boiling water into the field, shuck the ear while it's still attached to the stalk, and then cut it so it drops into the boiling water immediately for 5 minutes. Yea, not practical, but fresh picked that day locally is the only way I like to eat it. If it's in a supermarket, it's not fresh at all due to the logistics cycle unless that market has a deal with a local farmer to bring it in directly each morning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Tamales, pork
    Though we have no connections to lands south of the border this has been added to our Christmas ritual feast, just because they are so darn good. We had some earlier in the week made by a Mexican friend's mother (she's in her 90's, they were the real deal) that were outstanding. I'm soaking masa as we speak, hoping that mine will be at least passable.

My Dad found a Prime Rib at a "reasonable" price. Looks like we'll be having that, with all the fixin's.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by charlie velasquez View Post
    tamales, pork
    excellent!
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    It'll just be the two of us since we are hunkered down yet again with Omicron on the rampage in Ohio, and we are looking for something a little different to fix for dinner on Christmas. I'm wondering if anyone plans something out of the ordinary?
    Venison pot roast is what we’re having Christmas Day.

Tonight is tortierre, traditional Christmas Eve fare……Rod

The town I grew up in had a Green Giant canning facility. Every year, in August, they would start the corn pack season, where the farmers would harveset the corn fields and the trucks would bring it to the plant. They aways set up a cart outside the plant where they would sell corn ears fresh off the trucks from that day. You could buy a large grocery bag full of ears for $1.50. We would have corn on the cobb almost every night during that time. Man, those were the days.

Secondary to a concatenation of factors I didn't get around to cooking Christmas dinner until 12-27. Color balance is a bit off, the ribeye was pink (138 dF internal temperature) edge to edge except for the crust on the outside. The ribeye was reverse seared with forced induction at 1200-1400 dF via the tuyere with a hair dryer.

I did two medium Russets, two blue, and two red potatoes. The potato dominos were an unqualified hit with the one picky eater daughter I had home. Slices are 1/8 by nominal 1.25 x 1.25, just drawn butter, salt and thyme on half, clarified butter and salt on the other one of each. 400dF for 40 minutes; I will probably let them go a bit longer next time, perhaps 45 minutes at 400dF; and toss in a small clove of garlic with the butter as it melts. I did the potato in my indoor oven, outdoor temp went from +18 dF to -2dF while the steak was on charcoal outside. I did the potato scraps on a second baking sheet in the same oven, olive oil, salt, sprinkled cumin, nominal 0.25 x 0.25 x whatever, 400 dF x 40 minutes. Rosemary works good on the French fry cut potato, but I am bored with it. Use wax or parchment paper to ease cleanup.

Tomorrow will be West Indies Pepper Pot Soup over open fire with the one child at home and 8" of snow forecast. See Chef Walter Staib's "A Taste of History" season one, last episode, I think episode 8. Ping if you need help making salt pork and salt beef from scratch, that is a hearty soup with a foundation that can take heat from mild to wild. I don't remember if the show is on Netflix or free on Amazon Prime. A bit corny as a TV show perhaps, but none of the recipes I have made were bad.

20211227_204058[1].jpg