Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you having for Christmas Dinner?

What are you having for Christmas Dinner?

It'll just be the two of us since we are hunkered down yet again with Omicron on the rampage in Ohio, and we are looking for something a little different to fix for dinner on Christmas. I'm wondering if anyone plans something out of the ordinary?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    We're having Maryland 6 Oz. lump Kent Island Crab cakes that were shipped on dry ice from eastern Maryland last week.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Since the kids/grandkids cannot be here again (3 of them have covid)... it will just be a very few of us... but it will be spiral sliced ham & fixin's which we will be dining on for a LONG time...

Our tradition for years has been turkey for Thanksgiving and lasagna (my own recipe) for Christmas.

I always cook it up on Christmas Eve and reheat it for the official meal: tastes better and serves up cleaner that way.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Normally we have people over and make a ham, this year no people, so we are having ribs.

I am home alone this year so I will fix myself a meatloaf.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Our family gave up on turkey decades ago.

We have one vaccinated and boosted kid flying in this week, for the three of us I will be doing two tomohawk ribeyes, like two ribeye steaks still attached to one rib, over live hardwood coals with American beech and a little white oak for flavor. About 2/3 of a three rib prime roast I guess, but reverse seared to medium rare - pink from edge to edge after smoking about two hours at 225 dF- then seared at +/- 1400 dF to crust them up at the end of the cook. I have been working on Thomas Keller's "Yabba Dabba Do" on open fire but the wine reduction is far too fussy to try to manage in the winter up here, and potato gallettes are just unforgiving witches on live wood fires.

There is a Francis Malmann potato recipe (Fancis Mallmann potato dominoes) I want to try where you square of a russet so it looks vaguely like a S4S piece of wood, slice it thinly but not all the way through, and then bake it with butter and herbs, same open fire as above; and probably a cauliflower and cheese casserole in cast iron also on the open fire.

Hopefully my wife will make at least pumpkin pie for dinner ( my wife makes the best pumpkin pie in the world) and I will be making another batch of cinnamon rolls for breakfast. My cinnamon roll recipe is not ready for sharing; I have been working on it about 30 years, but I am getting close to release. Now I am wondering about smoking cinnamon rolls on pecan wood at 350 dF for baking, I haven't tried that before.

If outdoor ambients are colder than -20dF I will call Papa John's. Current forecast is zero for the overnight low and plus one for the daytime high, should be good to go.

And eggnog. I made a few variations on the "1920s Shanghai eggnog" (that guy must have 200 grandkids) around Halloween 2020. Early returns suggest aging six weeks is better than 4 weeks, and 14 months in the fridge hasn't hurt it at all.

Some low calorie generic IPA, Rye whiskey and Yuengling Light...pretty much whatever is left over from Christmas Eve.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Sticking with the boring but delicious roast beef for Christmas. The prime was nearly $24/lb at the Costco and I just couldn't do it, so we're going with the choice. My wife is happy because she likes it better. Will also make the traditional pecan sticky buns for breakfast.

Trying something new for our Festa dei Sette Pesci, a fish pie published last week in the Times (sorry, it's probably firewalled) . https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...ven-fishes-pie

Brisket from a local smokehaus.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    We are expecting 12 for dinner Christmas day. Rib roast has been our standby for the last few years. Hard to beat.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Some low calorie generic IPA, Rye whiskey and Yuengling Light...pretty much whatever is left over from Christmas Eve.
    Never eat on an empty stomach!

Detail-oriented eldest daughter polled her sisters and wrote down a meal by meal menu for several days. She even called it a straw man. As an escapee of the corporate and technology world, I wisely stepped aside.

Nova Scotian Lobster. The season just opened here so they will be very fresh and very tasty.

Paul, use it as an opportunity to "stretch" and do something different and special that you both have always wanted to try. Prepare it together, too. And make sure there's a good dessert.

I'm not sure what I'll make for the evening meal on Christmas day yet and am starting to work on the menu for what will be the family meal: brunch. Our younger daughter and SO are committed to dinner at his parent's house so the plan is for a nice brunch after opening presents mid-morning after they have their own little "first Christmas in their own space" thing in the morning. Older daughter is less amused about that, but she'll just have to deal. There are a number of things I'm considering...they just have to take into account that Professor Dr. SWMBO doesn't eat eggs, so they will unlikely be a "visible" part of the meal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...