Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you having for Christmas Dinner?

Already had the first round. 25 showed up, instead of the usual 40. We baked a ham, and the rest was potluck. Done that for years. Too bad, hardly any leftovers this year.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Simple Christmas for Sue and I alone. Son and DIL have Covid and are quarantined. Grandkids are staying away from everyone because of their jobs. We'll have a nice fresh turkey which I pick up from the turkey farm on Thursday and then we will roast. Smashed taters, spinach, lima beans, green beans, gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce finish up the mix. Fresh turkey is so much more flavorful than the frozen ones or the "fresh" ones from the supermarket.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

This thread is certainly making me hungry! Lots of good ideas to think about; we are going shopping tomorrow and will probably let what looks good at the butcher shop tip the final decision.

Scott, you get the prize for most ambitious meal of the thread so far! Sound awesome. We've made hassleback potatoes several times; they sound similar to those you describe except are not squared up first. It took us a few tries to get the right combination of tender enough inside and a little crispy outside. Starting with potatoes of similar sizes makes it easier.

Lee DeRaud, I agree, lasagna is always better the second day! Mary and I would be plenty happy with lasagna and that may well be where we end up if nothing jumps out at the butchers.

Jim, dessert is *definitely* on the menu! After all, holiday calories don't count, right?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

When the family is togeather we've been ordering chinese/thia take out, everyone picks something knowing that part of it will be shared buffet stlye. This way folks might get to sample something new, and instead of time spent cooking and a bigger cleanup there's more time to explore,play with, or discus gifts.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

I'm doing a small rib roast on the Big Green Egg. It assures plenty of leftovers for Philly Cheesesteaks on New Years Eve.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Scott, you get the prize for most ambitious meal of the thread so far! Sound awesome. We've made hassleback potatoes several times; they sound similar to those you describe except are not squared up first. It took us a few tries to get the right combination of tender enough inside and a little crispy outside. Starting with potatoes of similar sizes makes it easier.
    Not really. I have given away and given up hobbies down to just two in my early dotage. I have chosen to focus on just two things, cooking and woodworking, to see how good I can get at them, rather than try to do a little of everything. My finding is the corners on the domino potatos are an early indicator they are almost ready. Round like Hasselback would be more difficult to get a good mix of crunchy and fluffy I think. They beg for thyme either way.

I haven't sold my scuba gear yet, and I am still tempted to take up the bagpipe; but today, two hobbies. FWIW I am much more effective in the kitchen than the wood shop. Dave Anderson has me wondering about the difference between a fresh v- frozen turkey, my experience with salmon tells me he is correct.

I agree with Dave on the fresh turkey. There's also fresh hertiage old school breed turkeys which to me have a different/gameier? taste, pricey though. That said, I prefer the taste of the current breeds fresh turkeys.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 12-22-2021 at 9:12 AM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Brisket from a local smokehaus.

Erik
    Now That’s a Christmas dinner I can get behind!

In laws xmas Eve, it’ll be the usual honeybaked ham. I’m making Mac n cheese and cheesecake, my wife will bring a cookie tray she put together also. Handful of other odds and ends.
    Christmas Day is with my family, small ham, my dad is making lasagna. I’ll make potato bread and another cheesecake.
    I couldn’t care less about the traditional meats of any holiday, ham or turkey. Theres always mac n cheese or lasagna at any given holiday dinner, and those are my main course, always.
    I would like to find a time to make my cinnamon rolls for a family tradition, but they are usually half a meal in themselves, and the days are pretty much relegated to big heavy meals as it is. And my kids really are too young to enjoy them, chances are they’d take 1 bite and push them away. So maybe in 5-6yrs I’ll try something like that.

We're having family dinner on Christmas Eve, so it's probably going to be ham and potatoes, with various side dishes.

My wife is working Christmas morning. She is the head cook and kitchen manager at a local care facility, and they are doing prime rib for Christmas dinner. They will have extra so she will bring some home and we will have prime rib for dinner. That is just great by me. I love prime rib.

Just to circle back....the local butcher shop had a beautiful 1st cut prime standing rib roast so we got that. But....since Mary is not a big fan of beef, and won't eat it at all if there is even a little pink, which would be a crime with such a roast, we also picked up some nice salmon. She has an Asian marinade/sauce that is fab on salmon, so she'll do that. If the weather cooperates I'll smoke the roast for a couple hours and then finish in a very hot oven. We got some potatoes and asparagus to roast as sides. The best part is, there will be lots of leftovers.

Merry Christmas all, and enjoy whatever you have for dinner! Thanks for all the good suggestions and stories. Oh, all the mentions of lasagna got us jonesing for that as well; maybe new years.

Oooh...that sounds delicious, Paul!! And I agree...overcooking the meat would be a...crime. So adding the salmon was a very good idea. I'm kinda in that position here with the family brunch thing...quiche for four of us, plus smoked salmon and potatoes O'Brien (and peach torté) for four of us and Professor Dr. SWMBO will be having extra potatoes because she doesn't do eggs or "eggy" things like quiche. While reminds me that I need to check that I managed to get all my ingredients today. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Smoked pork ribs, smoked sweet corn, and broccoli-bacon salad for Christmas Eve dinner. Christmas Day will be roasted beef tenderloin seasoned with rosemary, thyme, and butter along with some form of sweet potato or twice baked potato. Appropriate wine for Christmas day will be some combination of Australian shiraz or US cabernet sauvignon (not in the same glass!). Mmm, hungry already!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Oooh...that sounds delicious, Paul!! And I agree...overcooking the meat would be a...crime. So adding the salmon was a very good idea. I'm kinda in that position here with the family brunch thing...quiche for four of us, plus smoked salmon and potatoes O'Brien (and peach torté) for four of us and Professor Dr. SWMBO will be having extra potatoes because she doesn't do eggs or "eggy" things like quiche. While reminds me that I need to check that I managed to get all my ingredients today. LOL
    Yes, Mary stopped by a little nearby grocery today to pick up a few things we forgot or couldn't find earlier and it was totally mobbed. And at least around here, the groceries close early tomorrow and aren't open on the 25th. Your menu sounds yum, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    Smoked pork ribs, smoked sweet corn, and broccoli-bacon salad for Christmas Eve dinner. Christmas Day will be roasted beef tenderloin seasoned with rosemary, thyme, and butter along with some form of sweet potato or twice baked potato. Appropriate wine for Christmas day will be some combination of Australian shiraz or US cabernet sauvignon (not in the same glass!). Mmm, hungry already!
    Oooh, can you get good sweet corn this time of year? Wish we could here. I've never tried smoking it, how and how long do you smoke it? Will have to add that to my list of things to try.