Thread: Best material for planer sled base

Best material for planer sled base

I'm looking to build my first planer sled for face jointing. From what I understand it's important that the sled be flat and rigid so it doesn't wobble or sag. I don't have the luxury of a local woodworking store, so I'll need to get my material from HD/Lowes, where I've never seen an actually flat piece of MDF or plywood. What would you folks recommend here? MDF? Plywood? MFC? Am I over-thinking it, and should I just use the flat-but-not-rigid 3/4" piece of MFC I have sitting in my shop?

You can order quality ply via the web, your phone, or etc

The shop I belong to has one made of MDF that has been working well for a long time, if that helps.

This might sound a bit out there but check Craigslist etc for a treadmill. They are often free especially if you don't need a working one. The platen that the belt rides on is laminated MDF. I picked up one last year to salvage the variable speed DC motor and I'm saving the platen to make a router table top for my table saw. It's flat and very rigid.

Another idea is to use premade shelving boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Another idea is to use premade shelving boards.
    That is what I have used for years. I have a 2 foot long by 1 foot wide white board the big box store and a 4 foot by 1 foot white board also. Just sort through a few of the boards, you will find one flat. I use the hot glue method and it always gives a good flat face. As an aside, you can also use a flexible 1/8 inch hardboard as a planer sled, as long as the flexible planer sled is on a dead flat surface. I use hot glue, and after drying, run the board glued to the flexible sled through my Dewalt 735. Because the tables are flat, the face comes out flat. I used this method for 6 foot boards for my dining room table.

Thanks. That's actually what I have sitting in my shop. A 12" x 72" x .75" melamine shelf. Long enough for anything I'd realistically need to run through the planer. It sits nice and flat, but if left to overhang the edge of a table it starts to droop. Encouraging to think that this might work, given your success with 1/8 hardboard.

Blog Entries
    As to drooping, the base of mine is a sort of torsion box. Half inch ply upper and lower with 1 inch maple frame parts between.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That's smart!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Karp View Post
    Thanks. That's actually what I have sitting in my shop. A 12" x 72" x .75" melamine shelf. Long enough for anything I'd realistically need to run through the planer. It sits nice and flat, but if left to overhang the edge of a table it starts to droop. Encouraging to think that this might work, given your success with 1/8 hardboard.
    you are good to go! I would suggest you also pick up a shorter melamine board for $15 perhaps 3 foot or so…you will use that much more often…a six footer is unwieldy unless needed for 5 or 6 foot boards