Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: large diameter slot cutting router bit

large diameter slot cutting router bit

Anyone know of a slot cutting router bit capable of cutting a 1" deep slot? TIA

Blog Entries
    What width slot are you looking to make? You can use machinist's end mills for extra reach in cutting slots.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    Anyone know of a slot cutting router bit capable of cutting a 1" deep slot? TIA
    1" is pushing it for a router bit. Assuming you cant run it on table saw or shaper? Ive never seen one that deep.

Slot that deep is gonna close up and be too small .

How long & how wide do you need?

You might be able to rig up something using one of the small trim saws.

I have the 12 V Makita - it's a 3 3/8" diameter blade. It cuts a 1" max deep cut.

Others. like the DeWalt & Milwaukee are a little larger I think. There are a few corded ones also.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Slot is for a guide on the bottom of a set of large sliding barn doors. The doors are just too big to do in the shaper. I was hoping to find something like 1/8" kerf x 1" deep. I could do two passes and get 1/4" wide groove. Sure, that's a large bit, but I've run a 3" diameter panel raiser in a hand held router before, being careful, without incident.

then just run a router wiht a good quality spiral bit like an Onsrud CRO-285. Its solid carbide and has 1" of cutting though in plunging that doesnt matter your extension what you can get will be the judge of how deep and it will do 1" deep without checking likely more like 1 1/2" or more.

what Mel said had to do doors for a carpenter once. They often have their carpenter ways. Had to do 1/4" x 3/4" deep dadoes in hard maple when it should have been mortise and tennon with a haunch. A good number of the styles closed up just as Mel has said from tension release. Will depend on wood thickness as well and type of wood but inferior way to make doors.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-18-2021 at 3:25 PM.

Super sketchy solution. Cut off mandrel for die grinder and pick up a couple small diameter (4") saw blades at the home center. Lowest RPM on your router out board fence.

They used to make biscuit cutter bits for routers. They made cabinet door hinges that had a halfmoon backplate that went into a slot cut into the door. Similar to a buscuit slot. Might even be a biscuit slot but it cut a small screw clearance groove as it cut the slot. Popular around 1970.
    You could screw some short 4x4"s to a skilsaw baseplate and make a track slotting saw.
    Bill D

Dremel makes some little wood cutting saws that fit on their arbors. A chainsaw might be good if you can control it with some brackets.
    Bill D

What I said will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    What I said will work fine.

Ya, a viable solution, but will likely require me to work while standing on a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    Ya, a viable solution, but will likely require me to work while standing on a ladder.
    You clamp the door on the face of your bench at an angle. You use a base on the router that has a fence that can be tightened up on both sides of the door.

so what if so. You want to get the job done?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    so what if so. You want to get the job done?

Yup! I'm on it.