Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two end tables

Very impressive Edwin. That's as much art as it is wood working. There has to be a lot of work getting the legs to come together so perfectly. Maybe it's simpler than it appears but I doubt it. Beautiful wood and finish too. Obviously this isn't your first project. Well done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I always love your projects Edwin. Such beautiful graceful lines, and these are another example of your excellent craftsmanship. Well done.

Which sheen of PolyOx did you use? If it was satin, how did you get such a lustrous sheen? Just lovely.

John
    Hi John,
    Thanks for the compliment!
    In terms of finishing schedule, when I was finishing these two tables I was all ready to use Osmo Polyx Satin, but all I had on hand was Osmo Polyx matte. And I wanted a little more sheen and depth. I also had a can of General Arm-R-Seal and General Seal-A-Cell.
    In my opinion mineral spirit oil based finishes are compatible with each other and can be intermixed. So what I did was use mostly Osmo matte and added a little ARS and SAC, perhaps 10% each. On the tops, for more protection, I added perhaps a little more ARS so maybe 15%? I probably should have measured for precision.

The result - a glowing lustre and natural looking satin sheen. I'm really happy with it and plan to do it again.
    I have not tested what I did on the tops for durability, but logic tells me adding any ARS at all to the Osmo will only increase the durability.

I love ARS, but I feel even in the satin formula it has too much sheen and does not deliver the natural look I'm after. I've also had issues with workability of ARS used straight up.

I should also mention that I follow the procedures in the FWW article on Osmo which is to say I wet sand it in, and I use a credit card squeegee on the tops to pack the slurry into the open pores. The first wet sanding is using 220 grit, and the second using 320 grit. I am convinced the wet sanding procedure delivers a better finish than the simple wipe on wipe off on the can directions. Maybe it affects the lustre also. Certainly contributes to a silky pleasing tactile feel.

Edwin

These are just beautiful. I even love the detail at the bottom of the foot.

So tasteful and well executed.

I also enjoy following your work.

Blog Entries
    Dude those are awesome in terms of both design and execution – well done! I agree with other commentators that said as much art as furniture. Thanks again for sharing!

I appreciate it especially the details about finishing much of which I’m unfamiliar with. I appreciate the coaching to learn more about these finishing options.

Best, Mike

Mike, Prashun and others,
    Sincere thanks for the compliments.

Edwin

Very nice pieces Edwin, and well photographed too. I'm a fan of Osmo Polyx, and the new formulation looks better, and easier to use. I've used Osmo stains, too and like those as well. It's also a beautiful finish over milk painted surfaces.
    I too would be interested in your joinery techniques. Would love to see progress photos on your next project. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

Very nice!!
    Chris