Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drawer Slide Supply Chain Shortage

I just picked up some K&V 8400 at HDL

Any other ideas on where to get quality hinges and slides? I have jobs booked out until 2024 with customers willing to wait on quality hardware, but the issue is keeping business income. With Blum backordered til April 2023 I'm anxious about getting jobs finished and paid for before then. I've tried ordering Grass, Salice, and Blum from Holdahl, Spokane Hardware/HardwareHut, woodworkerexpress, and Rockler at ridiculous prices.

Any brand or supplier I'm missing?

Hettich, Blum, Salice, Grass seem to be the top brands, and all heavily backordered.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I'd also like to hear opinions on KV and Accuride slides versus the big names like Hettich, Blum, Salice, Grass.

I've used KV for 35 years without any issues. Never used Blum though so, maybe I'm missing out. All my kitchen cabinets have KV. Now the Hickory from Menards, not wasting my money on anymore.

Any updates or new ideas on this crisis?

It’s crazy for all items.

I have a customer who has ordered 3,000,000 screws because they have a 300 day delivery time.

I just went to Home Depot, an SPF 2 X 12 X 12 feet is over $60.

I paid $20.21 for a 5/4 x 6 x 8 foot cedar deck board….Rod

I've got to say, I don't understand how drawer slides can be looking at supply disruptions out until 2024. In my professional/day job I deal with suppliers, complex supply chains, etc. Some of it involves sheet metal. Sure, there are certain items that are tough to buy now, but everything is significantly more complex than drawer slides. These things aren't exactly that complicated. Something sounds fishy...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    I've got to say, I don't understand how drawer slides can be looking at supply disruptions out until 2024. In my professional/day job I deal with suppliers, complex supply chains, etc. Some of it involves sheet metal. Sure, there are certain items that are tough to buy now, but everything is significantly more complex than drawer slides. These things aren't exactly that complicated. Something sounds fishy...
    It's the toilet paper thing all over again. Shops are buying up everything they can trying to keep some level of supply. The manufacturing didn't decrease, the demand increased.

Blog Entries
    You have a point. I was in a rush to get some slides, couldn't find any, then called a local woodshop and they were like "yeah, no problem, we have extra and more on delivery".

Maybe if you're small like me, your new vendors are other woodshops.

Jared is spot on here.
    Just like slides/hinges/screws, paints are a similar situation, though now told it's recovering. That said, a painter I just spoke to indicated he's got loads of paint gallons he's been hoarding over the months. Just buy them un-tinted and sit until a customer calls, then take back to paint store for tinting.
    As I understand it, that's called "being part of the problem".
    But, you know, it's the rest of the public that's the real problem....

I have used Blum in the past. Given the shortages I ordered Salice hinges and slides back in February from Woodworkerexpress because they said they would ship in 7-10 days. I got the hinges right away, but now they are telling me 4-5 months for the slides and the clips, though the website still says 7-10 days. Anyone have a source for Salice Futura Smove slides and clips? I only need 10 pair of 21" slides and 2 pair of 18" plus clips.

I got tired of waiting for the Blum slides and got the similar slides from Custom Service Hardware. Same dimensions for the drawer boxes and they appear quite robust. If they fail in the future, will replace with Blum (exactly same layout). They are also quite reasonably priced.

Mo, I looked on their site and they are reasonable. I'm not sure which slides you're specifically referring to though. They have a few and not seeing clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    It's the toilet paper thing all over again. Shops are buying up everything they can trying to keep some level of supply. The manufacturing didn't decrease, the demand increased.

Ok, that makes sense. That also explains why Blum might not be increasing supply too much, it would be a poor long term investment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    Ok, that makes sense. That also explains why Blum might not be increasing supply too much, it would be a poor long term investment.
    I was under the impression (can't remember where I heard it) they were running flat out currently at max capacity/shifts and opening a new manufacturing facility.