Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB paring tool for half blind dovetails.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I know you've ordered them, but a single bevel fishtail is going to work better than a skew.

I was just going to ask if a fish tail would be preferreable to a pair of skews for cleaning out the corners of a half blind dovetail.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Culotta View Post
    Regarding kerfing chisels: I'll probably get struck down by the internet woodworking gods for this, but I have a 6" drywall knife that fits *perfectly* in my Veritas dovetail saw kerf. I always meant to trim it down to make it less unwieldy, but I always forget, use it anyway, and it works great. Definitely make a tool if that's what you want to do, but if you just want something that works so you can get on with the project, you may try something similar.
    I love you man, no homo. I'll saw some kerfs into a scrap with my dovetail saw tonight and head to the homestore in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I was just going to ask if a fish tail would be preferreable to a pair of skews for cleaning out the corners of a half blind dovetail.
    From reading up on it, personal preference. Besides a skew chisel pair, or a fishtail pair, or a double sided fishtail, the other option I saw was a couple notches ground into a wider chisel to make a fishtail with a wider body on it. Clearly any will work. The next question is what can you buy (or make) today? Does it work good enough to stop looking, or do you need one of everything to make up your mind? Fords and Chevies, I am sure strong arguments can be made for all.