Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best value for a small footprint wide belt sander?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    For the record, to anyone considering a used widebelt, be VERY thorough in your homework before purchasing. They are probably the #2 machine behind used edgebanders as far as "I should have bought new but now I'm saddled with this thing".Erik
    Ditto. I wouldn't be afraid of buying used, but I wouldn't recommend it to a first-time user hobbyist. I think the open-ended machines can be ok - I know several small commercial shops that have them- but relying on them for perfect results on wide panels is optimistic. A 5 hp machine is not going to remove a lot of stock per pass. If you have a shop with a widebelt close by that can be a good alternative to owning one.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Derek, why don't you get an HS-950? Everyone can use an edge sander and that thing is impossible to beat for the price.
    Only because I already have an oscillating edge sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Sshhhhh, the man wants new. Just like the guy buying brand new Martin equipment, we need those people to buy new so i can buy their used stuff 15 years from now at a steep discount : )
    Hah, no need to wait 15 years, I'll probably change next year

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Derek, i had one of the bigger/better drum sanders you can buy, the Supermax 37x2. It sucked. Dont be fooled into thinking an expensive and big drum sander will satisfy you. It comes down to the limited surface area of the drum and the paper. At a certain point the heat and dust have nowhere to go. You load the abrasive, heat builds up, and your feedrate is extremely limited.
    Agree. I've looked at the Supermax a few times at Rockler (16/32). I researched the topic a few times on SMC, the answer is always the same, go wide belt if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Ditto. I wouldn't be afraid of buying used, but I wouldn't recommend it to a first-time user hobbyist.
    Exactly my concern. You don't know what you don't know, and I'm worried about learning those things the hard way. The more complex the equipment, the less interested i am in buying used.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I think the open-ended machines can be ok - I know several small commercial shops that have them- but relying on them for perfect results on wide panels is optimistic. A 5 hp machine is not going to remove a lot of stock per pass. If you have a shop with a widebelt close by that can be a good alternative to owning one.
    It's 7.5HP but I get your point. My biggest issue is space.

a 36-grit belt will remove a lot of material fast for a sander
    I use a 36-grit belt to clean up the glued up boards, then go with a 50, 60, 80, 100, 120 for one pass on each side
    36-grit will run less amps at 1 full turn then the 120-grit at 1/2 turn
    keep an eye on the dust collector when doing much 36-grit work
    I have a fair amount of time running wider than 15" glue ups thru my sander it works however have ended up with wide cupped glue ups when trying up around 24" or wider
    Ron

that actually hurts to read

I have a Supermax 25 x 2 5hp. It does not suck and have been happy with it. Not perfect and a few quirks, but then again I paid 2700 new for it. Now it’s 4k with current increases.

Nothing really beats a wide belt sander, but then again you have to have the space for it. Might as well get a 36” machine if you’re getting a wide belt, then it’s over 10k easy and takes up a lot of room.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    a 36-grit belt will remove a lot of material fast for a sander
    I use a 36-grit belt to clean up the glued up boards, then go with a 50, 60, 80, 100, 120 for one pass on each side
    36-grit will run less amps at 1 full turn then the 120-grit at 1/2 turn
    keep an eye on the dust collector when doing much 36-grit work
    I have a fair amount of time running wider than 15" glue ups thru my sander it works however have ended up with wide cupped glue ups when trying up around 24" or wider
    Ron
    Well that kind of defeats the purpose.

Ron
    I'm really bummed about your experience Ron. I've read so many posts that say no deflection on these units. What brand unit are you using and why do you think your getting deflection? I assume the overhead assembly is flexing?

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    I'm really bummed about your experience Ron. I've read so many posts that say no deflection on these units. What brand unit are you using and why do you think your getting deflection? I assume the overhead assembly is flexing?
    I don't think it is flexing at all as I see no difference from side to side and am very happy with it. It will flatten anything fed to it up to the width of the belt
    Once you get 8-10" past the edge of the belt there is a support under it but nothing to hold it down. As long as I keep it under 20" wide as the belt is 16" everything comes out as flat as I can measure it. It is when I try sanding 30" wide that it is really noticeable. Having a hard time explaining this, if the glue up is flat then it stays flat, if the glue up has a cup to it then I can't get it out with the sander. I firmly believe this just is how it is no matter if a belt or drum sander.
    I really like this sander and would not want to be without it, just need to understand it can't do the impossible.
    I bought it used off of a guy with a one-man cabinet shop. He replaced it with a 36" wide belt. He bought it in the 90's to replace a 16/32? drum sander that he claimed he had worn two of them out. If you can get one with photo eye I would as this one is all pneumatic tracking and takes a 3Hp 60-gallon compressor to stay with it. A good pancake compressor will not keep up.
    SECO SB-38 5hp single phase 16x54 belt, single speed feed
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 12-22-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add

Having a hard time explaining this
    I think you explained it well. I never really thought about the material being held down flat, just supporting it with the extension arm. Thank you for the information.

I've had two Performax, 25x2 and 37x2 and currently have two WB Sandya Win 25" and Sandya 5 43x2. There is a place for all machines. If the work load is light and you don't have a lot of spare amps, the drum sanders are much better than nothing. You learn to finesse the feed and not get greedy, dress the belts often, and most important, keep tightening the belts and watch that they don't overlap at the seams. If you bandsaw your own veneer, the flat conveyor belt of the performax is ideal. A used 25x2 for 1000-1500 has little risk and will serve until you really need something better. If you go new with a WB you don't want to buy on price. A heavy build that holds the head securely and keeps settings is huge. Open end machines of any type are handy but come at the cost of needing to keep the DOC low, much like a drum sander. Not a big issue with a sander as even the heavy machines should be considered more finesse than stock removal. If your planer is good, you really only need a sander for cleanup and that is all an open is really good at.

I also avoid yellow type glue, particularly for a drum sander but even with my WB. I generally don't like the foaming mess of a gorilla type but sanding that type of glue saves the belts big time. Dave

no one even asks what type of work the guy does. Its the starting point for anything what a person needs and like Dave says usually more than one machine. They all do same work more or less but do it differently and they all have different costs and dynamics from price to power requirements to space.

No one has brought up Safety Speed, but they make a nice widebelt, not too big for a 36". I have had mine for about ten years, bought new at AWFS; it's been a real game changer for the shop. Made in the USA, with US tech support, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    No one has brought up Safety Speed, but they make a nice widebelt, not too big for a 36". I have had mine for about ten years, bought new at AWFS; it's been a real game changer for the shop. Made in the USA, with US tech support, too.
    ill take a look.