Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: slab flattening sled

On the router question, for this kind of work, you generally will be better served by a beefier router motor so you can both swing the larger tooling as well as not over-stress the tool doing it. This can sometimes be hard work and it also makes for long run times. I'd say minimum the heavier 12 amp router but preferably the "big one" in whatever flavor is most cost effective for you for this particular application.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To the OP, not sure if this got mentioned already but if this is just a once-in-a-while thing, I would look into subbing it out. Any big millshop could flatten and sand your slabs pretty easily. Just a thought.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

It was some time ago so I don't remember the exact model/seller. The ones I used are very sturdy, steel rods about 1" diameter. Around 60" long.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    To the OP, not sure if this got mentioned already but if this is just a once-in-a-while thing, I would look into subbing it out. Any big millshop could flatten and sand your slabs pretty easily. Just a thought.

Erik
    I have a supplier that has a mill and he can flatten for me. I'd suspect he'd even let me just use his sled, and it's got a 3.25 triton on it so the power is there. While this is a once in a while activity for me, I also want it for end-grain cutting boards and larger glue-ups that are bigger than my 13" planer can handle. And on top of that, this is a hobby for me, so it's all about doing the work.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    That is a large bit so you will need to observe the max rpms (probably around 15,000) and take light cuts. I have a PC 7518 motor in my cnc router and run a 2 1/4" spoilboard bit, typically removing .020" at 250-300 in./min on ultralight mdf. That is a comfortable rate on my machine - with a deeper cut the rpms slow down. I would recommend a smaller diameter bit as well as a more powerful router for what you are doing as you will want to knock down the high spots quickly and that will be a pain with the depth of cut you will be limited to. When you run a large bit into a high spot it can be an unwelcome surprise. With a 1 1/4" bit you will be able to flatten a good percentage of a typical piece with your first pass at a greater depth of cut.

I have done a bit of slab flattening by hand and it is quite tedious and dusty. If you can rig up some dust collection it would be a good thing. If you have a regular need for it you may want to invest in cnc or sub it out.
    A 1 1/4 bit might be the way to go until I burn out my PC and forced to buy a new one Dust collection isn't an issue, I have a 3hp cyclone. I plan to build the sled with a dustport. Similar to the woodpecker pro. Like what John did in the picture he posted above.

Justin, I use a 1.25" tool for spoilboard maintenance and flattening on my CNC machine with a 1.7kw spindle. (about the equivalent of a 2.25 hp motor) While the bite is smaller, it does a great job. No worries using the smaller tooling as it only takes a little more time. And yea, get a solution for dust/chip collection on that fixture...these things make a BIG mess!

BTW, I use an Amana insert tool for this long wear but a fresh edge when you need it for "that special piece".
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    ...this is a hobby for me, so it's all about doing the work.
    Gotcha'. Just spitballing but what about a 16" planer? Would that solve it or still need wider?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Justin, I use a 1.25" tool for spoilboard maintenance and flattening on my CNC machine with a 1.7kw spindle. (about the equivalent of a 2.25 hp motor) While the bite is smaller, it does a great job. No worries using the smaller tooling as it only takes a little more time. And yea, get a solution for dust/chip collection on that fixture...these things make a BIG mess!

BTW, I use an Amana insert tool for this long wear but a fresh edge when you need it for "that special piece".
    I was looking at the whiteside 2" spoiler bit, and would take smaller cuts, as i am thinking of an upgraded router if I use it enough. I also found CMT has a nice one with replacement blades, they have both 2" and 1 1/2. Might be worthwhile as i'd get 4 sides replacing them and they are about 15 bux for a set of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Gotcha'. Just spitballing but what about a 16" planer? Would that solve it or still need wider?

Erik
    A 16" planer would be great, but not wide enough for the project that is ahead of me as the top is 24" wide. And future end-grain cutting boards are in the plan also.

I also have a pile of cookies made from Ash that i will need to flatten once dry for some artwork my daughter is going to do.

I was looking at the whiteside 2" spoiler bit, and would take smaller cuts, as i am thinking of an upgraded router if I use it enough. I also found CMT has a nice one with replacement blades, they have both 2" and 1 1/2. Might be worthwhile as i'd get 4 sides replacing them and they are about 15 bux for a set of 3.
    I really like insert tooling for this kind of application because you get those edge changes. Like I mentioned, I use Amana, but there are other options as you note.
    --

I really like insert tooling for this kind of application because you get those edge changes. Like I mentioned, I use Amana, but there are other options as you note.
    Ouch that is an expensive bit. $200...

Ouch that is an expensive bit. $200...
    Yes, up front cost is higher for insert tooling...but over time, since you're only replacing the small knives after you've used all four edges, the cost is less. Meantime, you have nice sharp tooling. I do understand the "pain", however, at the beginning....I also bought the insert versions of their vee-bits. But they do cut crisp!
    --

Yes, up front cost is higher for insert tooling...but over time, since you're only replacing the small knives after you've used all four edges, the cost is less. Meantime, you have nice sharp tooling. I do understand the "pain", however, at the beginning....I also bought the insert versions of their vee-bits. But they do cut crisp!
    Yup - upfront cost - same like my jointer. I would have sent my blades out 5 times on my old jointer and still on the 2nd side of my 1st set of knives on my helical jointer.

Just an after thought...but I found that using a bowl type bit, that has rounded edges, rather than a bottom cleaning bit, that has square edges, works better for me.

Less sanding to get rid of the lines between where the router bit went.

YMMV...just my limited experience...

Edit: after posting I had to look back and see if my post made any sense. I think it might...

Hope sollll
    Last edited by Bill Space; 12-22-2021 at 4:16 PM.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I'm still using a 2" Yoniko spoilboard bit that I paid something like $15 for about 6 months ago. I've flattened quite a few hardwood slabs with it. Just sayin'.

John