Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sexist pedestrian lights

Sexist pedestrian lights

I never knew the little green person letting us know it was safe to cross the street was sexist. I guess it is a nude male. so In Melborne Au they are changing it over to 50% girls in dresses and leaving the other 50% as sexless nude people.
    Are there lots of nudist camps in Australia? Are women allowed to wear pants. Are women wearing pants allowed to cross the street or must they stay on their own block.
    Bill D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It's not just Australia:

Crosswalk Signals.jpg

It has been taking place all over the world. Look at the date on the image above.

Maybe the street light techs get a little overtime?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Your mistake is to try to understand the world.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-16-2021 at 12:25 AM.

Maybe those are folks wearing kilts or in Australia more likely to be beach towels. Actually the one in the kilt does not look like they are walking. they look like they need to go pee.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Do you often see men in kilts with pony tails?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Do you often see men in kilts with pony tails?

jtk
    Indeedy, Diddy-do

388cdeaf-336x478.jpg

Don't people have more important things to worry about than what stick figures for walk signals look like? The female figure in the first post look fine, but the female figures in the second post are just way too stylized.

Maybe we should just go back to Walk and Don't Walk instead of figures. The movement to figures is supposed to help those who don't speak the native language like tourists from other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Don't people have more important things to worry about than what stick figures for walk signals look like? The female figure in the first post look fine, but the female figures in the second post are just way too stylized.

Maybe we should just go back to Walk and Don't Walk instead of figures. The movement to figures is supposed to help those who don't speak the native language like tourists from other countries.
    Agreed. I thought the idea was to have standardized figures around the globe to mitigate the language gaps.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Don't people have more important things to worry about than what stick figures for walk signals look like?
    The fact that this thread exists answers that question.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Don't people have more important things to worry about ...?
    Clearly an opportunity here, and automation to the rescue:

Using 3D laser scanners, optical sensors, facial recognition, web searching of social media for pedestrian bias, cloud-based behavioral analysis, and narrow beam polarized displays, we will overcome these catastrophic 1st world problems. After detecting a pedestrian approach, the system will present the ideal personalized holographic image to each individual - via the polarized display - with walking or standing; even animated, if analysis determines that this motion will not be deemed 'triggering'. I think I can even present the individual's pet as their preferred image - again, based on overall situational analysis. Please go ahead and mail your checks directly to me - US$3,012,743.00/ea. I have scooped up the Theranos programming staff and I'll deliver the system in no time.

Happiness achieved!

All touchless, of course; no nasty pressing of directional buttons and viral contamination.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    The fact that this thread exists answers that question.
    It seems the thread is merely pointing out that some people in the world think this is an issue. It doesn't appear that Bill necessarily supports the change.

It is getting to the point that using male names, likenesses, and similar for anything is no longer allowed and must be changed.

CHANGE ORDER #1 -
    The Team was brainstorming and has come to me with an existential threat posed by the 2 or thirteen humans with absolutely no current social media presence. But they also posed two solutions: 1)microgravity sensors to determine these throwbacks' motion intentionality, detecting muscular tension and so intended direction, of course; or, 2)with a 37ms delay, we can invent a complete social media presence for any individual, enhancing it at every crosswalk. Seamlessly.

I made a judgement call, and will use both. Please add US$524,699.95/ea to your checks.

Sorry about the budget hit, but no one said high tech was cheap.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 12-16-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Indeedy, Diddy-do

388cdeaf-336x478.jpg
    An invisible pony tail?

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Your mistake is to try to understand the world.

Coffee on the keyboards! LOL

Blog Entries
    I disagree with the initial assumption that the original stick figure is a 'sexless nude person'. We grew up drawing stick figures, using stick figures for bathrooms, etc etc. That's a false post change perspective.