Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, again - Laguna BX14 vs Rikon 10-326DVR

Yes, again - Laguna BX14 vs Rikon 10-326DVR

I am so tossed on this decision. I have spent enough time to have a pretty good understanding of the pros and cons of each machine.

I do not wish to discuss quality control or customer service as part of this discussion. Obviously, this is a concern but the two companies are equal enough. The only two points I am stuck on are versatility and repeatability.

One thing that is super important to me is tool versatility.
    The other very important thing is cut repeatability and quality.

The Rikon is super versatile, but is finky to setup after blade swaps or height adjustments. However, having the ability to cut any material with the variable speed would be awesome. I really would love the ability to cut metals, for example, I want to make a railroad tie anvil.

The Laguna is very easy to setup after swaps and the height adjustment works flawlessly, however, I could only cut wood with this saw which leaves me needing to find another solution to cut metal.

Also, if I go with just a wood saw only, I may just abandon the Laguna all together and go with something that will give me more resaw height which is also important to me. When cutting wood that is most of what I will be doing with the band saw. I will still do rip cuts and such, but I am getting the saw really to do resaw cuts.

Any thoughts would be helpful... or just confuse me more

PS: I know there are other threads on this exact topic but I didn't want to be a grave digger and I think the DVR model is unique. The question really is variable speed saw or not and the only variable speed saw less than 3k new that I can find is the Rikon. I found a Vertrax for $1,600 that would be freaking awesome but the FPM is only 1,600 max which is too slow.

I do all my metal cutting with either an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel or a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. If you want to go into anvil production then a bandsaw would maybe be worth it, but I wouldn't buy an expensive tool just to enable a one-off project. There's always another way to do things, it may be slower or more awkward but if you're only doing it once or twice that may be okay.

Have you seen anyone cut metal with these?
    From what it looks like to me, is basically a VFD/inverter matched to a three phase motor,
    like what folks use for running 3 phase machines on household supply.

Does it also have gears to slow the wheels down further, as from what I've understood, you stand a big chance of overheating the motor
    if you turn the pot down to say 5 or 10hz?
    Heard it said it's nowhere suitable for the application, but folks say that about drills speeds too.
    Can be just about done with care I'd imagine, but never cut manganese steel, nor any on my wood saw.
    A fella on the UK forum cut one recently with a hacksaw, I'd use a big grinder personally.

I wouldn't want to cut both wood, and metal in the same place, much less with the same bandsaw. Ever seen the mess left by a metal cutting bandsaw?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I wouldn't want to cut both wood, and metal in the same place, much less with the same bandsaw. Ever seen the mess left by a metal cutting bandsaw?
    This for sure. Can't imagine using it for both. I'm pleased with my 14BX but moving and selling it soon. It's done me well for resawing only.

Yeah, I get it... pain in the neck to switch for clean up reasons but seriously nice to be able to cut whatever, whenever as nice as a bandsaw cuts. Trying to cut heavy plate steel with anything but a bandsaw or a cutting torch is just brutal. Being able to cut aluminum clean and accurate expands projects so much, it was way worth the clean up in my opinion.

I am interested in buying used too, hint, hint.

Aluminum and brass are one thing...incidental cutting doesn't really need any messy lubricant and while cleanup can be a pain, it's doable. Ideally, I'd want a separate machine for frequent non-ferrous metal work. But I'd not want to cut ferrous metal on the same bandsaw as wood at all from the get-go. Proper metal cutting bandsaws (crosscutting/cut off) often move the blade through the stationary material, too. Plate can be more challenging...abrasive wheels can do the work, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, I cut aluminum and brass on my wood saw and aside from the cleanup and more rapid dulling of the blade it's not a problem. I try to do batches of brass parts from time to time, and put on an old blade for that.

You’ve got a lot of incongruous wants or needs on your list.

- Jack of all trade tools are always compromises and rarely do anything well.
    - If you need /want more than 12” of resaw , you’re going to have to spend a lot more money than a 14bx.
    - seems you’ve severely discounted the effort needed to clean up after cutting ferrous metal, especially with cutting oil/fluid.
    - if you really have a need for metal and wood cutting - get two saw optimized for each task. You can then eliminate one of your hot buttons :blade change and height repeatability.
    - despite your statement to the contrary - Laguna and Rikon customer service is not equal.

I use this saw blade in a Ryobi miter saw that came off CL, for cutting aluminum. I just take it outside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found a metal cutting bandsaw at a Grizzly tent sale when Grizzly was still in Pennsylvania. Very similar to the Harbor Freight 4 X 6 horizontal/vertical metal cutting band saw. The vertical cutting table is pretty flimsy, if I were using it much I'd re-engineer that but it works for infrequent use. Using one saw for ferrous metal and wood is not something I'd care for.

Thank you all for your honest opinions. You do have me questioning my desire to have one saw that can cut both wood and metal. Though, it still seems like a variable speed bandsaw would be an awesome to have vs a single speed. I was not suggesting that Rikon and Laguna had equal customer service, I was stating they were close enough for this tool for me to not heavily weigh that as a factor, also many other threads have already spoken about this topic and I didn't want to duplicate that information here or sidetrack the conversation from what I really wanted to discuss. Yes, I realize that I would need to spend much more on a saw with larger than 12" resaw. I just found a Laguna LT24 for $3,500, I am considering it. If I end up abandoning the Rikon variable speed, this does open me up to a much wider range. I was just trying to compare two saws that are often compared but with the variable speed feature.

So, maybe thoughts on variable speed in general vs the metal/wood discuss that seems unanimous?

I have the BX14 and like it a lot for wood. I wish I had moved my 16” Laguna from back east. I’ve re-sawn up to 8” oak and maple with the BX with no issues, well, other than the operator error I’m capable of. I would not cut metal with it. I had an old 14” delta that was geared for metal and wood. Don’t recall the model number but they are out there. For cutting metal I have the 14” Evolution chop saw, which is outstanding, a 4x6 Horiz Delta, Plasma, grinders, saws ,etc. What I find myself going to most often lately is my Milwaukee Deep Cut Portaband with the Swag Off-road mounting plate to make it a fixed vertical band saw which mounts in a vise. Pretty slick set-up and brings the Porta-band back into use. Prior to getting the Swag plate i cannot remember when I used it last. I think Evolution has a hand held metal cutting circular saw that is geared to metal. If doing any more corrugated roofing/siding I’d have one of those.

A couple years ago I purchased a Laguna 14 SUV. At the store it was right next to the Laguna 14bx. The 14 SUV is a much better saw. The 14 SUV was made by Harvey and they now sell it under their own name. Definitely worth looking at.

I have the 14BX and also wouldn't cut metal on it, or want to cut metal on any saw I use for wood. Also dust collection systems for wood are not designed for metal so, even if I didn't run the dust collector during metal cutting, and cleaned up everything, i still wouldn't want metal shards in/around my wood working saw, or somehow getting sucked into the dust collector. If you do go for a 14BX, go for the higher HP motor if you plan to resaw. the LT24 you mention at that price is used? i'd grab that up at that price if I had space for it. BTW - Laguna has the 18CX that is wood and metal.

If I needed to cut metal, i'd get a 2nd bandsaw that is metal specific.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!