Thread: Sofa update

Blog Entries

Sofa update

This wasn't a major project, but it did require some thinking. Our sofa had sustained some damage from our cat. We looked at options, such as replacing the upholstery, but couldn't find a fabric that looked good. Since the sofa has wooden feet we determine that a wood insert might look better than the damaged or replacement fabric. I had several short pieces of 70+ year old cherry boards that my father in law purchased when my wife was a baby. This cherry is age darkened all the way through the wood. It only gets slightly lighter when you sand or plane off the surface.

Before20211215_102133.jpg

After 20211215_102200.jpg

Before committing to using the cherry, I made a pattern out of poplar to determine exactly how to attach the wood with no visible fasteners or plugs. I was able to put a single Kreg screw into the sofa arm at the top in the wide area, where I had no access from behind and then put a keyhole slot in the back of the pattern to slip over the Kreg screw. The bottom is held in place with a single screw from inside the arm. The practice piece fit well and looked pretty good except for color, so I proceeded with the cherry. The finish is raw 70+ year old cherry with four coats of spray oil base polyurethane.

P.S. The cat was a really good one except for this minor indiscretion. He passed away a few months ago at age 12-1/2.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-15-2021 at 5:08 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That was a very good solution, Lee! I've actually seen pieces with a wood insert in that spot even from the factory, so it's not going to look foreign at all. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good fix for now. Long term, you might want to consider using the cat for target practice . . . or am i not allowed to say that here . . . .

I think the cherry looks nicer then the original Lee. Nice repair to a challenging situation.

Very nice looking repair Lee. Now if you have a dog...... it might be his/her turn next.

Excellent recovery from a difficult situation! Well done Lee!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don’t know Lee, now you might have to making matching end tables and a coffee table!! Seriously, I consider this an upgrade. It looks great. Well done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    I don’t know Lee, now you might have to making matching end tables and a coffee table!! Seriously, I consider this an upgrade. It looks great. Well done.
    There are already three end tables in the room, you can see one to the right in the photo. There is not enough antique cherry for even one. Every piece of furniture in the room except the sofa, a recliner and an upholstered bench were made by me.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the comments guys. It turned out really well. That old cherry is a joy to work with. I like that the dark color goes all the way through. I just wish there was a lot more of it. I had made an end table and coffee table from it when we were first married. Those pieces were given away years ago. I'm not sure I even have any pictures of them.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Well done-would never know it was a repair. And you work really fast-the dog hardly moved!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Well done-would never know it was a repair. And you work really fast-the dog hardly moved!
    He likes that spot. Actually the new pieces are held on by a single screw in a keyhole slot in the back near the top and a second screw that comes from inside the arm into the back of the cherry piece. The original piece was held on with pneumatic brads. The second photo was taken before the second screw was put in.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I think the cherry looks nicer then the original Lee. Nice repair to a challenging situation.
    I'll second the looks better than the original. Good job.

Excellent repair job Lee. If a sofa if comfortable it pays to repair it. We just trashed our old sofa, spent $3000 on a new sofa/loveseat and now find our old sofa was a lot more comfortable.

Impressive.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I missed this before. Nicely done Lee. Definitely adds to the look of the sofa. The vet can take care of the cause.