Thread: How/where do you keep your handplanes?

How/where do you keep your handplanes?

I mean, other than laying out on the workbench.

Today I have them in drawers below my secondary workbench.

Wondering if a till or wall cabinet would be better.

Not only the basic planes, but some have accessories (router plan blades, rabbeting guides, et al)

Do you keep scrapers, spokeshaves, small planes in the same way as your larger planes?

Near chisels? (also in a drawer)

For chisels I was thinking some nifty CNC or 3D printed holder that could be modular and snap together whatever number of 'pockets' needed. Does anyone have a 3D printed chisel or handplane holder they care to share a pic of?

What about your saws? A separate saw till?

3 different solutions or combined into one? What about expansion?

I use a rather pedestrian method. The bench planes sit on pegboard hooks that have rubber sleeves on them to prevent scratches. Over the holidays I'm planning on working up a fancier solution. Block planes and the like live in a toolbox drawer

Last edited by Rob Luter; 12-15-2021 at 3:03 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Mine are in a couple of drawers with chisels and scrapers in drawers above them. I've considered moving the couple of the planes and chisels I use the most to a wall mount solution, but haven't gotten there.

I have a plane till, a saw till and a wooden holder for chisels that resembles the one in Rob Luter's picture above. Specialty planes (plow, etc) are in individual wooden boxes that are made to stack and sit on a shelf under my bench.

I dont know that there's any significant advantage to a plane till versus a drawer. In fact, I'll bet it's easier to contol humidity/rust in a drawer. I have mine in a till because I just like looking at them displayed there.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

These are old pics from my last two shops, I've had them in 3 different shops set up like this. I like it because I like the look and everything is accessible. I really like the saw till in the cabinet too.

Planes.jpg
    Till.jpgTill.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Rozmiarek; 12-15-2021 at 8:29 AM.

My block plane lives on its side on a little shelf in a little shelf unit that I got for $2 at an auction many years ago. The two larger planes sit on 2 nails each, nailed into the side of a deep window frame. They all get dusty because I don't use them often, but when I want them they're handy to grab.

I just built a plane till. Works out great, even for my larger #7.

Plane Till 1.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a small shop so I keep them on a tool wall right behind my bench, all within arms reach, the chisels are in the small tray. All frequently used tools are on the wall. Having it so close to the bench allows you to put the tool back on the wall and not have it clutter the bench (In theory this works, but not always in practice).

IMG_2012.jpeg

I have mine in a normal wall cabinet not far from my bench. They sit flat but with the fronts raised off the cabinet shelf with a small scrap of wood. Not fancy, not pretty, but they are dust free and protected from the general shop environment. I suppose that if I used them a lot then something more convenient to grab them would be in order, such as an on-wall plane till. But I use them for utility, not to do major work on projects. (And yea, I'd likely use my CNC for that project. LOL) Maybe I'll do that when I have a new shop building up and have the room to be more creative with tool storage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a couple wall cabinets. The larger one is next to my Scandi bench, and the smaller one (the plane overflow cabinet) is a few steps away.

Wall Cab1.jpg Wall Cab2.jpg

I made this wall cabinet.

The center section is almost exclusively planes. I have a #3, two #4's, a #5 and #7 and a low angle in the open section. The 'cubbie holes' Have a rabbet, coffin, router, shoulder, plough plane and a LN #3.

PXL_20211208_132602839.jpg

Secondary chisels are in the cabinet in this holder.

PXL_20211215_192154166.jpg

My best (and most used) chisels are kept in this box that I made. The box is stored in the cabinet, but I bring it to the workbench when I'm using them.

PXL_20211215_192219824.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out saw storage. I had quite a few hand saws, and built a pretty large till. But, I only used a few of them. So, many didn't make the trip to the new shop. I might build a smaller till.

IMG_8399.jpg
    Since I don't have much wall space. I've got my plane till sitting on the cabinets just to the right of my work bench. Probably not a good solution for most people.

I have a till in this hanging cabinet next to my bench where I keep my most often used planes. My block planes and small shoulder plane live on a shelf on leather below the till.

20211218_165405small.jpg

I have this tool caddy hanging off the back rail of my bench. I use it to keep tools a little closer during a project.
    20211218_165432small.jpg

If you go to the Neander section you can probably find a lot more ideas.
    Regards,

Kris

Kept it simple-grabbed an old dresser from marketplace and just put 'em in it.