Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie capacity question

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I took LOML in to the store yesterday to put our hands on the lathes we were considering. After looking carefully at all the options, kicking tires, etc. I asked her opinion. She said "Well, I guess you better get the big one, we won't be happy with anything else". By big one, she meant the PM 3520B. Could you ask for anything more in a wife?

We had it delivered for $35 the same day. That comes out to $0.046 per pound, a good deal in my book. They set it down right where I wanted it with the legs already bolted on to the bed. Lots of fun and the machine is wonderful.

Congratulations Tom! I don't think you'll be disappointed. We'll be looking forward to seeing posts of the future works eminating from it

BTW - Your wife is a keeper! and the $35 was worth every penny!
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 01-18-2006 at 10:40 AM.

I can really admire a guy and his wife who stand at the edge of the Slippery Slope and says, "The heck with this!"; and jumps straight to the bottom.

Of course, now that you're waaaaaay down here with the rest of us, you're soon to discover the joy associated with peering down into the Agonizing Abyss.
    Only the Blue Roads

Aw, right! Give that gal some roses...or maybe some expensive...umm...burl.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III
    By big one, she meant the PM 3520B.
    As I'm sure you have already found out, you'll love this lathe. I've had mine for about a week now and its the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Tom can I ask where you found the PM 3520 for $2500. All I have found is around $2900 to $3000. Woodcraft has the Jet 1642 for $1799. Thanks.
    Got mine from "Tool Nut (dot) com" for $2500 and change, free shipping also.

Got mine from "Tool Nut (dot) com" for $2500 and change, free shipping also.[/quote]

Although all I have done on mine so far is make a cylinder out of a square, it is obvious that this is a high quality machine.

I think their catalog has a $2500 price, but mine ended up at $2700 from the Cutting Edge http://www.cuttingedgetools.com. They are about 15' drive from my house, and on the way home from work. They are good people, the owner Steve has never steered me wrong and does not try to oversell.

They also have someone local who builds mobile bases for these lathes. It looks so good that I thought it came straight from PM. I think they run for around $250.

Steve is a good guy...I've talked to him at shows and also bought some tooling from him. I'm glad you gave him your support.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,
    thanks for the warning on the tool rest extensions!

Dick

I would go like Carole suggested. The Nova DVR would fit your needs for a long time to come. 16" swing, Computer controlled speed, 1 1/4" x 8 thread, Swivel head, outboard capacity, length can be added, etc. You won't be wanting to upgrade with a machine like this. I have wasted big bucks on not getting the machines I should have got in the first place and it is not just the lathes I'm talking about. GT

Well Tom, I see your from right here in Southwest Houston then! I work in Sugarland about 5 minutes from Steve's store.

So here's the deal, you need to come join us for "first monday". It's held(obviously) the first monday of each month at The Cutting Edge from 7-9pm. woodturners from the area get together for a few hours of turning, teaching, learning, and good conversation (not to mention tool buying ). He usually has 3 or 4 lathes available for whoever wants to turn and the crowd is generally pretty small (4-8 people).

Hope you'll join us sometime.
    Cheers,
    Brad

LOML and I plan on being there "first Monday" in Feb.

Tom, you better keep that wife, understanding ones like that are few and far between. I'm also glad to see you supporting Steve, he's a really nice guy and I agree, he has never steered me wrong. While I haven't made a first Monday yet (two pops on the tollway from Clear Lake and I'm tight) I may see you there in Feb. Oh, yes. Congratulations on the 3520B, I watched Steve's sons putting one together with the MB the last time I was there. It looks almost like mine (A).
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Great guys, I'm looking forward to meeting 2 more fellow SMCer's