Thread: Heavy Metal Steady Rest

Heavy Metal Steady Rest

Heavy Metal

Back in October, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Welding machine. I've wanted one for years, and thought I'm not getting any younger, so I got a Miller Multimatic - Multi-Process welder. This is my first project, and while it is not perfect, it is purely functional, and structurally sound. I'm just learning to weld, and the days I fabricated this was cold and windy, and because my shop is tiny, I had to do this outside, and used flux core welding wire, which also produces the most welding spatter, and wind just creates it's own set of problems.

This is based on Jeff Nichol's design, with a couple of modifications. The arm at upper left can be placed anywhere you want, and it can be configured as either a 4 wheel steady, or a 3 wheel. This is a 24" steady for my G0800 lathe, as my other one is too small for it.
    I hope everyone is doing well, and so far 2021 has been my best year ever in sales. I just wish I had more time to devote to making, but am thankful I can do what I've done. Best wishes for a Merry Christmas to all.

Steady Rest G0800-1.jpgSteady Rest G0800-2.jpg
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-14-2021 at 5:32 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I think that is a nice looking steady rest, good job.

I also own a Millermatic a 211 and do hobby type welding. Repair work also, mostly for the neighbors. Have never used flux core wire though as I have a cylinder with 75/25 argon/co2. Also a welding supply a few miles from the house for tank exchanges. Wind is a problem for mig welding for me. I must shield the welding from any wind at all to get good results.

Fine looking design. I attempted one similar recently only out of plywood and T-tracks.
    How did you get the round portion fabricated?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Fine looking design. I attempted one similar recently only out of plywood and T-tracks.
    How did you get the round portion fabricated?
    The ring is a duct flange ring…available in numerous sizes from McMaster-Carr.

Several years ago I borrowed a Lincoln mig welder, spent a day seeing if I remembered anything from a college class over 40 years earlier, then proceeded to put a similar one together from plans I may have downloaded from Sawmill Creek...I offset the wheel supports by about 10 degrees to allow space for the laser I used then (since replaced with a video system). It works really well when I haul it out. Here's an old shot when first done, before paint - test on whatever was handy...
    .3109F133-074E-49FD-A215-D1DCCD01A52C.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey J Smith; 12-17-2021 at 5:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Roller skate wheels are harder and hold up better when the piece is heavy i do get some bruising sometimes so i leave extra wood to cut away later after roughing

If I'm using the steady on a piece where the outside in finished, I put a turn or two of masking tape at the contact point. It seems to keep the wood from getting bruised. Make sure you wrap the tape in the right direction....

One can put too much pressure from the wheels against the piece being turned. I've never had an issue with marking that would not sand away easily. Funny thing, today I got a request from our turning club to make at least one for the PM 3520b's at the skills center. Getting prices together for the executive committee at this point.