Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about projects

Question about projects

What is everone's opinion on asking someone how they built a piece, i.e. dimensions and assembly details, for something they may have designed themselves...possibly even a "style" they have created (i.e. a particular dimension of rails and stiles, particular finish, particular shape of moulding, etc).

I see a lot of really neat ideas here, but am hesitant to ask about more details for things that likely took a lot of design time...nothing for sale here, just for my own use.
    Jason Morgan

Ask! Its all part of the deal
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

You can certainly ask me anything at all about one of my projects. And, that appears to be true for most folks here at Saw Mill Creek.

So, Jason, what would you like to know?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I agree, just ask. When I lived in near Chicago, I remember going into the Moser store and the manager saying to me, "You're a woodworker aren't you?" I guess most people don't pull drawers out and look at the inside very often She was very friendly and let me me poke away, even measuring some stuff. Besides, is there anything new under the sun? Most "original" ideas are merely variations on a theme anyway IMHO. Then again, I'm not the most original guy on SMC, so maybe someone else should answer this question.

Jason,

We kind of look upon these sort of questions a flattery..... so please flatter away

Why should WW be different than any other art? Ask away. All great artists, musicians, composers, etc., borrowed from the masters that came before them. That includes woodworkers.
    Use the fence Luke

Yup...ask! It's the only way to learn.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Believe me Jason, there's a heap o' askin' going on here, and a heap o' answerin'.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Most folk on SMC are amazingly cool about this. Many of my clients do not want their stuff broadcast over the internet as its been said. My personal stuff? Ask away. But furniture stores can be a pain. I am the only person I know of who was thrown out of a furniture store.... not a saloon, but a furniture store. Fancy That! I think it had something to do with a notepad, small ruler and a camera.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    But furniture stores can be a pain. I am the only person I know of who was thrown out of a furniture store.... not a saloon, but a furniture store. Fancy That! I think it had something to do with a notepad, small ruler and a camera.

Very good Dev....lol....next itme give me a call. I'll run interference for you and keep them busy while you write, measure, and click away.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    I agree, just ask. When I lived in near Chicago, I remember going into the Moser store and the manager saying to me, "You're a woodworker aren't you?" I guess most people don't pull drawers out and look at the inside very often She was very friendly and let me me poke away, even measuring some stuff. Besides, is there anything new under the sun? Most "original" ideas are merely variations on a theme anyway IMHO. Then again, I'm not the most original guy on SMC, so maybe someone else should answer this question.
    If you want more info about furniture produced by the Thos Moser company -- early in his career, Thomas wrote a book called "Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture". It contains drawings for many pieces which the company produces now. It is about $25. He also wrote a companion book about building Shaker furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    If you want more info about furniture produced by the Thos Moser company -- early in his career, Thomas wrote a book called "Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture". It contains drawings for many pieces which the company produces now. It is about $25. He also wrote a companion book about building Shaker furniture.
    Yup...that's the book I use for a nice percentage of my work! And although it's based on his older designs, you can interpolate techniques from it for more current items in his catalog and do some sketches. I have a lot of respect for Moser in that he, like several others, have an appreciation for teaching and sharing as evidenced by their books and articles.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks for all the replies

I almost felt silly asking the question given the folks that are here, but didnt know how people felt.

And now, given my new founs assurances,

Jason Tuinstra, My wife saw the pictures of your Shaker chest of drawers and has commisioned me to duplicate it. I was wondering what the overall dimensions were and what the drawer heights were. Did you get that from a book, or just wing it?

Thanks in advance.
    Jason Morgan

But don't do a commercial knock off the the signature chair. Moser has filed at least one law suit.