Thread: woodsmith belt sander,,

woodsmith belt sander,,

could anyone help me,,i bought the plans to the woodsmith 4x36 belt sander that is used with your drill press,,,i have followed the plans to the letter,,and still cant get it to operate,,i even turned the wooden roller on a lathe and is completely round,,but when you install the belt reguardless how much tension you put on the belt it,, the roller just spins,,will not grab and hold the belt,,,has anyone ever built this and if so maybe you could help me out a little,,,thank you

I listen to the Shopnotes podcast and at various times they have mentioned taking turns on the customer service desk taking calls very similar to yours. You might try giving them a call and see if they can help out. They've mentioned answering emails about issues folks have had when taking on one of their projects too. Good luck
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    the wooden roller on a lathe and is completely round,,but when you install the belt reguardless how much tension you put on the belt it,, the roller just spins,,will not grab and hold the belt,,,has anyone ever built this and if so maybe you could help me out a little,,,thank you
    your roller is too smooth. Attach a thin mouse pad to the roller with double sided tape so the rubber side is out. This will give your roller some grip.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute