Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axiom Controller VS Mach 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fang View Post
    Ol Understandable. So the limit of diminishing returns is essentially going hybrid servo mode. Which the acorn would make more than enough sense. Anything beyond would be to just “play” and be an exercise in coolness. Lol
    Agreed. If you wish to put motors capable of 1/10,000th resolution on a frame capable of holding .003-.005" tolerance to cut a material (wood) that is +/- .010" (at best) to .030" (normal) after cutting, then by all means post videos!
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

So one would just buy the frame from avid and go with a Acorn system and that is motors and the software to control them? Sorry I'm very new to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Richeson View Post
    So one would just buy the frame from avid and go with a Acorn system and that is motors and the software to control them? Sorry I'm very new to this.
    Yes, actually...the machine, base, spindle, etc. from AVID and the motion and control from a Centroid provider like Gary's organization. You'll want to check with the latter for the specifics of what you need from each side so you don't buy things you don't need or in duplicate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As a musical instrument maker, I'm much more concerned with accuracy and precision than with beefy cuts and thru-put. And reliability, as sometimes I'm cutting on a part that already has many hours into it and expensive if not irreplaceable materials. Losing a step could be disastrous in such a situation. I've gotten by with a little old Techno Davinci machine ,by just never challenging the steppers, and so far so good, but I'd really welcome some sort of "closed loop" solution. I suspect the ClearPath servos running on Acorn would be an excellent choice, and if I ever upgrade to a larger machine that would be a prime candidate.

You also have the option of a more custom, "right sized" machine for your production work, Richard. Gary did a number of those for folks since I've been acquainted with him. Beefy, accurate, yet small and to the point. It's not the size of the machine that matters as much as the work performance expected.
    --

Yes Jim, one of those 24" x 36" machines that Gary made could have been ideal for me. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to make that sort of investment. The cnc is a very small part of my operation, just use it for inlay work and slotting fingerboards. But I never want to cut or inlay pearl by hand again, so it's indispensable!

Yes, wonderful for inlay and fret slots for sure...I'm VERY thankful for that capability even in my amature guitar building!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Richeson View Post
    There are 2 answers to this question.
    One: Being very new (your words) you can benefit from both the complete package, i.e., all parts provided with few questions to answer and from the one stop shopping that AVID can provide. The OEMs have new user built into the price
    Two: If you have been using a machine for some time and know which areas you would like to improve with your build then a 3rd party specialty provider like myself can offer custom options that the OEMs do not.

For example: about 40% of our AVID customers want Centroid control. Another 40% want closed loop. The last 20% are a mixed bag of both and ClearPath servos and/or a special purpose feature. Most of these are 2nd or 3rd machine purchasers with specific requirements.

The OEMs are setup to offer certain options at a given price point. Along with "stock equivalent" replacement controllers, we can offer custom options beyond what the OEMs can provide.

I did not intend to get involved with this topic, but......

Gary, My understanding of a controller is that it interprets the CAM instructions for the CNC machine. What are the features and advantages of the various controllers your rep?

Vince...
    Good question, but the complete answer would be longer than I care to type. Todays industrial controllers have virtually all the features, but the real magic is in how the processing takes place. PC controllers from yesteryear used the PC to generate pulses to drive stepper drives. Worked pretty good in the DOS days, but with each version of Windows becoming slower and more polluted, proper timing and thruput became more difficult.

Centroid has developed an 8 axis controller that mounts in the control box, on the IO board, that handles the vast majority of CNC tasks and saves the Windows PC for user interface. This allows CNC commands to operate in near real time and at much greater speeds than a PC can provide. For example, most PC generated pulses are in the 30k/sec (SB), 60k/sec (Mach) 75-85k/sec(linux & others) (all sub 100k/sec pulse rate) and Centroid's can produce 400k/sec, even close to a million with proper drives and cabling.

They (Centroid) have made this controller available to the DIY and small CNC market (2017) in 4 and 6 axis products and have been adding support for user requested features ever since. I've been building control systems with them since early 2018. It is likely that the features that impress me the most wouldn't even be on an end-user's wish list, but 2000 line look ahead makes a machine run very smooth. Smoother and more accurate than most guys running PC control are used to and they notice it right away.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Wow, Gary, I do not realize the high level of operation for an industrial machine. Not much in common with my $500 Ortur. Thanks for the response Gary.

Thank you very much for the replies. I will be getting ready here soon to get a machine on order.