Thread: My first kumiko lamps

My first kumiko lamps

Blog Entries
    Nicely done Robert.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice when off, but when on they really shine! (Sorry, couldn't resist...but it's true). Is that rice paper behind the panels or something else?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I like them! Would love to see a shot of them lit up in a darkened room!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Extraordinary!

I love them. Simple and complex at the same time!

Very nice, Robert. Detailed work like that really shows craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing!

Elegant. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Those have been on my project list for years. No more--yours look sooooo good!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Very nice! Can you chare the corner joinery techniques you used for the main lamp "frame"? I have a couple lamps on my do list that will be similarly constructed, but with art glass inserts as opposed to Kumiko
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Very nice. Kumiko is on my list to learn in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Very nice! Can you chare the corner joinery techniques you used for the main lamp "frame"? I have a couple lamps on my do list that will be similarly constructed, but with art glass inserts as opposed to Kumiko

+1 -- Always looking for a better explanation on that joint

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I'm sure there are better ways, but here's how I did it:

1. Using a tenoning jig, I first established the 1/8" thickness of the triangular part of the tenon on all pieces.

2. Then formed the 1/4" inner tenon using tenon jig. I left app a 1/8" (one blade width) gap between it and the triangular.

3. I made a jig to route the triangular housing in the legs. Through lots of trial and error and lots of adjustments to the jig, eventually I got it dialed in. I think I spent a total of 16 hours!!

4. Standard mortise using power mortiser.

In retrospect, I think I would consider doing the triangular tenon feature as an overlay, IOW a separate strip of wood attached after its glued up. That way it could be dialed into the triangular housing a give closer joint. I had some gaps in them.

The other issue I had was I made the panels before the frame, and that was a mistake, as I played it safe and made the frames a little larger, then added a strip of frame material around the panel and planed them to fit. I also had a little issue glueing up square. I would recommend you make temporary panels to fit in the frames for glue up.

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Legs are marked up and double/triple checked.

IMG_1424.jpg

The setup for routing, a batten is used to clamp legs firmly into jig housing.

IMG_1422.jpg

A jig for trimming the triangular inlays. Cut with a saw, then pared. Again, lots of trial and error. The key was getting the stop in exactly the right position.

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

The last lamp I made (the maple legs) are straight tenons. Had to do over, I would forgo the double tenon its way to complicated and the eye is caught to the kumiko and doesn't even see the frame joinery.

Very nice Robert! Great problem solving skills which resulted in beautiful work.