Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table top thickness and wood question

Table top thickness and wood question

Finally getting around to build a trestle dining table for my wife. Have a couple of decisions to make…

1. I have been collecting plans for a bit for this. The main two have one major difference: one has an 8/4 top and the other 4/4. Thoughts on table top thickness?

2. There’s two main wood choices that my wife likes at the local lumber yard. One is African Mahogany* and the other (at twice the price) is Walnut. Lots of experience with the walnut, not so much with the African Mahogany.

* keep forgetting to call them and see what species the African Mahogany is.

Blog Entries
    Just my thoughts & opinions, since you have experience with walnut it might be good to stay with what you know.

Though truth be known some of my recent work on a variety of mahogany has me thinking of working with more.

As for the thickness it might be dependent on how big this table will be. A 4/4 top might be good for a small table. For a large table 4/4 would look rather skimpy. The 8/4 would enhance its massiveness.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’m looking at 7 to 8’ long by ~32” for the table top dimensions. Think shaker inspired trestle.

when I made my 3' x 6' Stickley trestle table I made the top 7/8" because I wanted it to look lighter at the top - not top heavy.

_MG_5467.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    A wide chamfer under the top would make it look lighter.

If you use 4/4 you may want to run a support stretcher under the center to add stiffness to the top surface.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

African Mahogany is a distinct species,
    Here is an article that can help identify one Mahogany from another.
    https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...s-the-lowdown/

I read that Mahogany costs are going up due to shipping costs.
    https://www.woodshopnews.com/news/ma...shipping-costs
    The more you know

I really enjoyed working with African mahogony. Found it generally easier to work with than walnut. That said, I love walnut, too. Can't go wrong either way, imo. Choose based on price, look and finish?

8/4 seems like it would be out of proportion: not sure I have ever seen a Shaker inspired table with that heavy a top. I would be reluctant to go much over 1" final thickness. Yes you could chamfer the the edges as well, but not sure 8/4 would be necessary or desirable. A wide chamfer is a nice detail though, particularly on either end of the long dimension.

Go thick because you can chamfer the underside to lighten it . Jim K mentioned

Blog Entries
    Our table is 1" thick. That's what I would use. It is a laminated top. Why don't you measure one at a neighbor's house or do you have an old table to measure.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-11-2021 at 8:40 PM.

Trestle table

I built a copy of C Schwarz’s table from the ‘06 Autumn issue of Woodworking Mag, which I still have. 32x84x1” white oak top. One of the things I like most about this table is the high stretcher. The Grands were 2 and 5 when I built this and it is amazing how much time they have spent under that open table with a sheet over it for their play space. The dogs too. I like the 1” top. This thing is a beast with 1”. 2” would be difficult to deal with. With the open structure I think the 1” gives it a lighter look, but that’s only my eye.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FC2EB298-8220-4CB3-B9D2-768C85966709.jpegCDC39435-E148-4E74-BBB1-386981948A93.jpegThis is rift white oak. Top is 1-3/4” with undercut bevel. Sorry for the rotation.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blog Entries
    Reading old Fine Woodworking magazines is one of my bedtime activities to help me fall asleep.

Last night it was the September/October, 1983, issue #42, with an article on designing trestle tables. One of the design formulas was to keep the top from sagging by having approximately 5/9ths of the top between the supports with 2/9ths overhang at either end.

The comment on the tops thickness said it should be gauged on the thickness of the posts (legs?) and usually should be thinner.

jtk

Agree..go with wood you know : Walnut....I personally like a thick top...Just me but i'd go 8/4 if u can..Just my opinion/
    Jerry

Because of the style (trestle) lends itself to heavier design I would probably go that way. If the weight is no concern. The top alone will go over 100#s. With the leg assemblies about the same. I’m partial to walnut for both look and working properties.
    Jim