Thread: Gibbs 24" planer

Gibbs 24" planer

In a 24" planer are the gibbs one piece or possible to be 2 pcs? My combo machine is 14" and the gib it one continuous piece. I wondered if because longer length they split them into two pieces or if cannibals were present.

I would assume that it is possible they are 2 piece. I am in the market for an older 24” planer myself. Been looking for one to restore. I found a used 24” jointer to restore and am working on a deal with the present owner to buy it.

Are you considering replacing the gibs or are you just curious? If I were in your shoes I would either swap in a spiral cutterhead or if you are on a budget you could possibly go with the self set knife setup.

My 24" Crescent jointer has one-piece gibs (it's a Crescent, so they're different than most other gibs, but it's a one-piece bar.) My 18" delta wedgebed planer has a two-piece gib setup for each blade. I think you're going to get a lot of variance from brand to brand here, but all should work fine if tuned appropriately.

Bobby ive never been around a 24" planer at this point or done set up so I had to wonder if the gibbs had been cut by a past owner. An expanded drawing would show. So figured others that have a 24" planer would know then it could be diff from brand to brand.

A 24" Tersa would be likely 7K canadian. Big commitment. Ive been on high speed 40 years and have figured out how to work with it enough that its never held me back for any of the work im doing. Oh other than that time I had to use barn board. One hickory project years back was pretty hard on them as well.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-11-2021 at 12:47 PM.

My old Monarch 24" planer has 1 pc. gibs

You might want to check over at OWWM. First off they only discuss older US and some european machines so watch what you say. I have read before where some of the older wide machines have 2 or 3 piece gibs but I can't speak to which ones off the top of my head. IIRC most of the machines in question were 24" or wider planers, but that's just something I think I remember.

thanks Paul that is helpful at least it exists. I have visited that site and tried to search the machine and think im doing something wrong on the search function as next to nothing came up.

The Tersa head I used had 3or 4 gib sections on a 400 mm knife.

thanks good to know.

A Tersa head will cost more than my house, I still would like one though.