Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Padauk

Padauk

Has anyone had issues wide belt sanding this material? Seems like drum sanding is ok.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Used it once-ONCE with smalls and thought that I would NEVER get the fine orange dust off of everything (including me). It does morph into a deep maroon color after a few years. It is very pretty wood, but that dust was a bear.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert L Stewart View Post
    Has anyone had issues wide belt sanding this material? Seems like drum sanding is ok.

Thanks,
    Robert

Very resinous, It will gum up belts unless run at a bias and light passes or in combination with hardwoods like maple or oak.
    If you can sand with a drum, then wide belt will be no problem.

As aside, I did resaw and sanding for a well known lumber company here in NC for several years.
    Several exotics are more resinous than you would think. Most have a learning curve, to keep from ruining belts.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

sands great on a stroke sander. You control the pressure as you work. Two types if I remember correctly one darkens more than the other or faster. Takes lac finishes well. Dust is aggressive smells sweet almost at first but its a trick.

Use caution with this wood, it can cause health problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Use caution with this wood, it can cause health problems.
    I was going to say I'm allergic.

What exactly is your question? Did you run it through the wide belt and have problems? I run it though my drum sander no problem. Except for being allergic and red dust all over the place. It does stain other wood if you're making boxes.

I like using it for small projects. I just used some and yes, red dust, but it's mostly in the dust collector or sanding vacuum.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Ive done well with jointer/planer as these were chips. TS seemed to be Ok But I definitely smell it there.Drum sander seemed to do Ok at 100 grit without gumming and/or bleeding into maple. The Rotex and RO both seem to do well with a good extractor and clean paper. I have had very little issue with the Padauk and bleeding. I did try hand sanding it and have ran RO without extractor and both bled.

So far so good. Running at an angle seems to do the trick. Appreciate the info.
    No Padauk in this board, 18x12x1.125. Making more soon.
    20211210_132921_resized.jpg
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Used it multiple times in my wide belt sander. Absolutely hate the red dust, plus the dust seems to keep coming out while wiping down the cutting boards after the board is finished.

Pretty wood, though...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Used it multiple times in my wide belt sander. Absolutely hate the red dust, plus the dust seems to keep coming out while wiping down the cutting boards after the board is finished.

Pretty wood, though...
    I've made a few projects out of padauk over the years. A bunch of lathe turning, sanding in the lathe along with machining the wood and hand planing. The dust gets into everything (including my lungs) and the need for a good mask while working with it.

The only difference between Paudauk dust and any wood, say maple, is that you can see it. Its always there, just more obvious

No, its a very aggressive dust, maple is not. It smells all warm and fuzzy at first but its evil.

I almost think there are fumes off some woods, Ive had nose bleeds in the past from some mahoganies.

A lot of tropical/exotic species (as well as common ones like walnut) can be insidious to our bodies. But I'll agree that species like paduk are a lot more "visible" on surfaces due to the hue. (I can't use bubinga in any way, shape or form as I react to it)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A lot of tropical/exotic species (as well as common ones like walnut) can be insidious to our bodies. But I'll agree that species like paduk are a lot more "visible" on surfaces due to the hue. (I can't use bubinga in any way, shape or form as I react to it)
    Send me all your spare Bubinga. Seriously, what reaction do you get?
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!