Thread: LOOKING TO BUY: Lie Nielsen Small Tongue & Groove Plane #49

LOOKING TO BUY: Lie Nielsen Small Tongue & Groove Plane #49

Looking to pick up the small version (#49) of the Lie Nielsen Tongue & Groove Plane: let me know if you have one. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48-tongue-groove-plane-sil.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	469617  

Whatever you do, don’t go and see what these 49’s are going for on eBay right now….

On a different mode, I just saw a Guinness World Record break for a special bronze 4 1/2 LN Handplane end auction for about $3,000. These special bronze ones were $750 last year and I balked at the price. The world is a crazy price right now!

Its unfortunate how collectors drive the prices up to insane levels, leaving tool users with little recourse. Yeah, I've been tempted to sell my LN 4.5 Anniversary plane: I just can't let go of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Its unfortunate how collectors drive the prices up to insane levels, leaving tool users with little recourse. Yeah, I've been tempted to sell my LN 4.5 Anniversary plane: I just can't let go of it.
    well if you do I have a no 49 I’d trade for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Erthal View Post
    well if you do I have a no 49 I’d trade for it!
    Well, I have a 48 I'd trade for it, but the 4.5 Anniversary is where it is supposed to be: in my shop

As a recent eBay buyer of a LN 49 I can tell you it is not for collecting. I've been looking for over a year and plan to try and wear it out.
    "The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Edwards View Post
    As a recent eBay buyer of a LN 49 I can tell you it is not for collecting. I've been looking for over a year and plan to try and wear it out.
    That is gratifying to hear: I can't tell you the number of "used" LN tools I have purchased in the wild, only to discover that the use was either keeping them stored in their original boxes or possibly displayed as an objet d'art: enjoy wearing that plane to a nub!

Still looking. Don't be shy: make me an offer.
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 12-20-2021 at 7:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Though they make great tools the only LN tools in my shop are the ones that were way out of my range for a vintage Stanley plane.

My T&G plane is a Stanley #49, may also purchase a #48 someday.

Just looked at prices for some LN planes on ebay:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN Planes on Auction Site.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	470405

Dang, if there was a need for some cash my #60-1/2 & #62 could be sold since they are not used much in my work.

The LN #1 is listed at a price approaching what a Stanley #1 gets.

Though these prices may be someone's wishful thinking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A LN 49 just sold for $775.45 + $25.80 shipping on eBay! LN sold this for $195 before apparently discontinuing it. Prior to the holidays I spoke at length with someone at LN about current supplies and production updates. They will continue to produce the 48 (with a price increase), although it is currently not in stock with no anticipated return date.

Well, the saga is over: I have procured a LN #49 in pristine condition. Yes, LN prices have hit the stratosphere: I suspect that as the world slowly returns to normal, LN will have all their tools back in production, and prices will come back to more reasonable levels.

Congrats! Let the project commence!

Here is another Guinness book of records of LN planes pricing…6k?! Buy yourself a jet ski instead! To each is there own.

Well, the saga is over: I have procured a LN #49 in pristine condition. Yes, LN prices have hit the stratosphere: I suspect that as the world slowly returns to normal, LN will have all their tools back in production, and prices will come back to more reasonable levels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48188781-0107-48C0-A9DC-990592CBFC45.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	471449  

I have regular bronze No. 1 and No. 2 Lie-Nielsen planes. Neither is listed any longer on the Lie-Nielsen site. I will just hang on to them. I am on the wait list for the L&N tongue and groove plane. As a back-up plan, I bought the T&G cutter for my Veritas Combination Plane. I have only played with it but it works. Glad I bought my hand tools a few years ago.