Thread: Marking knife on one side, awl on the other -- what is this tool called?

Marking knife on one side, awl on the other -- what is this tool called?

I vaguely remember seeing or hearing about a tool which is basically a marking knife / awl combination, in common use historically, but seemingly forgotten in recent years.

I always wanted such a thing, but don't know what they're called or what to search for... I've forgotten completely. Does anyone happen to know what I'm talking about?

Yep. You can use the awl for course marking. I've always called it a striking knife.

Blog Entries
    The few that come up in a consult with Dr. Google tend to have striking knife in the description. There is some mention of them being more of a metal working tool.

Harry Strasil Jr (RIP) made his own > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?117936

There is more, and a warning, about these here > https://www.mortiseandtenonmag.com/b...knives-options

Here are a couple of images captured from the internet:

Knife 1.jpg Knife 2.png

Those were found with > marking knife awl combination < as the search term.

It could be a dangerous tool in its longer form.

For someone who works with metal it wouldn't be terribly difficult. For an amateur like myself it might take a few hours to make one out of an old plane blade. It would take longer if it was to have wood scale handles.

Here is my post on making my last marking knife > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229968

Shop Made Knives.jpg

The top knife was my first attempt. It was made from the same plane blade as the bottom knife. Originally it didn't have the red heart handle. The center knife is made from a broken saw blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think they are used by Japanese more than western workers. I have two styles of them. Almost never used. To me they are strictly a bench tool. If you put it in your apron it will bite you. I believe the Japanese use a very similar looking tool made of bamboo for marking with ink.
    Jim

Marking knife on one side, awl on the other -- what is this tool called?

I'd call it "dangerous".

Regards from Perth

Derek

I agree with Derek, James, and, and Jim. I remember seeing one of those in a book or magazine article, and the craftsman seemed to like it, but as the others mention, it struck me as dangerous when I read about it. It is too easy to have the two individual tools that don't have a dangerous point opposite the business end.

Stew

Here are mine. Notice the guards. They work good for working with leather or leaving in a place where you do a lot of marking. However they are like boomerangs, makes no difference which end gets you.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone!

Good warnings on safety, of course. I realized that one needs to be careful with them, but "being careful" without corresponding habits is not sufficient.

One thing that I noticed is that you would hold these like a pencil when marking such that the pointy bit is sticking up. I usually don't do that -- I use straighter knives which I hold with the handle under my palm as opposed to sticking up like a pen. It would seem that such a blade profile would make for a much safer version of this tool, though perhaps not very historically accurate, if that be a concern.

I do like James Pallas's solution though! If I make one (I assume they can't be found, really) I'll definitely cap the pointy end.

Blog Entries
    I use straighter knives which I hold with the handle under my palm as opposed to sticking up like a pen.
    A flex of the wrist could put the unused end through your wrist.

For me having separate tools for the two works very well.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Are they not striking knives?