Thread: I'm assuming this is too good to be true....

I'm assuming this is too good to be true....

I found 'https://www.huadduo.com/products/water-cooled-sharpening-machine"]this as a sponsored item on Facebook Marketplace
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-09-2021 at 3:21 PM. Reason: removed direct link

My past experiences with Facebook Marketplace says to be extremely cautious spending money on anything that is offered for sale on Marketplace. If you are not willing to gamble away the amount of the selling price then do not offer to buy.

Beware of the major uptick in scams for all kinds of products online from companies you never heard of. They are rampant right now. And never, ever pay with a "cash equivalent" if you choose to buy something from advertizing like that. You will never recover your money if the deal goes south.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That has to be a scam. Marketplace with people near you can be great, sponsored is super risky. I started reporting a post that always showed up in my city. A 4wd Kubota with mower deck and backhoe for $1,200. Said he was posting for an aunt that is on vacation so please text XXXXXXXX. I reported that as scan for weeks, it showed up everyday. Then I started seeing it in sponsored ads.

What a strange site. The videos are from Tormek, some of the photos clearly show the Tormek logo, some have it airbrushed out. And the text actually mentions Tormek by name, even though this could not possibly be a real Tormek machine. This is as shady as it could possibly be.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    That has to be a scam. Marketplace with people near you can be great, sponsored is super risky. I started reporting a post that always showed up in my city. A 4wd Kubota with mower deck and backhoe for $1,200. Said he was posting for an aunt that is on vacation so please text XXXXXXXX. I reported that as scan for weeks, it showed up everyday. Then I started seeing it in sponsored ads.
    We get similar listings here in the summer and I always report them as a scam. It's always for an aunt or sister or.... and always a ridiculous price for a 20k tractor. It's like a game of whack a mole...one account gets closed, they open 5 more. I only buy local stuff on marketplace.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I tried buying an item from a Facebook ad once. The company happily charged my card and then never shipped anything. I opened a dispute with the credit card company after 6 weeks, and they gave the company 30 days to respond to their request. The company never did (it was closed and gone by this point) so I got a full refund from the credit card company. I will never buy from a Facebook ad again.

These types of stories aren't just true for FB ads. Two years ago I bought a rebuilt DVD/VCR recorder from a company advertising on Sears Marketplace. I paid for it with a CC and when it showed up, it would not even open to load a DVD. Several weeks and emails directly to the seller resulted in no help so I went to Sears. Sears sent the seller several emails with no responses, removed the company's ads from the marketplace and credited my visa. You really have to be careful online buying because there are scammers out there!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-10-2021 at 11:08 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dang, for 32.99 I'm thinking it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Send me $32.99 and I will send you a framed picture of a Tormek grinder and tell you that is what you actually purchased. That would be more than you get from that place.

When I tried the link just now it was into the void: "It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search."

By the way, forty bucks is about how much the Tormek T-8 went up in price this year.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Yeah, until 3,299.00 gets skimmed from your account and you have to wait for a new card to be issued by the bank. Nothing looked legit in that ad.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    These types of stories aren't just true for FB ads. Two years ago I bought a rebuilt DVD/VCR recorder from a company advertising on Sears Marketplace. I paid for it with a CC and when it showed up, it would not even open to load a DVD. Several weeks and emails directly to the seller resulted in no help so I went to Sears. Sears sent the seller several emails with no responses, removed the company's ads from the marketplace and credited my visa. You really have to be careful online buying because there are scammers out there!
    I was looking for a particular CD changer for my shop that is obsolete, found one that was rebuilt, bought it. It did not work. I am sure it never did. So to screw with the scam artist I sent him an email thanking him for the changer, "It works perfectly" If I was the wizard of the world every time someones scams they would lose a body part, "POOF".

I suspect a SCAM.....
    Jerry

scam.......