Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: delta unisaw x5 bearing replacement cost

delta unisaw x5 bearing replacement cost

I think this saw needs new bearings. It's a 36-L51X saw 2003 model. It's just a bit grumbly when running, any idea of the cost to have these bearings replaced by someone?

The bearings shouldn't be too expensive to acquire. Getting someone else to do the deed is a bit more difficult...it's not a skills problem; it's a "will you come to my shop" problem.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The bearings shouldn't be too expensive to acquire. Getting someone else to do the deed is a bit more difficult...it's not a skills problem; it's a "will you come to my shop" problem.
    They would need to have at least basic mechanical skills. Houston is a long drive for me....lol. Check with any local wood working shops like Rockler or Wood Craft and see if they know of anyone. Also with the size of the Houston metro area there might be some woodworking clubs or makerspace that might have someone able and willing. Just spit balling here. Good luck.

It was well within my skill set when the arbor bearings on my 1954 Unisaw needed to be replaced. There's plenty of on-line help to guide you.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    It was well within my skill set when the arbor bearings on my 1954 Unisaw needed to be replaced. There's plenty of on-line help to guide you.

John
    I've never had to do it, but when i do...it looks like once you get to the arbor, changing the bushings would be relatively simple. At least on youtube!!
    earl

When I replaced the arbor bearings on my saw, I was not aware the retaining nut was a left hand thread.

I had no idea until I ruined it. Fortunately a friend with a machinist shop fixed it. A replacement shaft is $100.

So, if the saw is left tilt, yours may be the same!!!

It does entail removing the table. I don't know who if anyone you can call to do this. If there is a local Woodcraft or ww'club you could contact them.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 12-09-2021 at 3:09 PM.

You can go to forum sites like this https://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=13307 to learn pointers on taking a Unisaw apart to clean it and replace parts like the bearings.

Sorry for the late response, I couldn't get logged back on. Jim, I'll just grab it with the tractor and put it in the trailer. Id prefer to just pay someone to get everything back in square. I don't have the patience for that.

Any machine shops nearby? If there are, ask them for bid to remove and replace the bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Sorry for the late response, I couldn't get logged back on. Jim, I'll just grab it with the tractor and put it in the trailer. Id prefer to just pay someone to get everything back in square. I don't have the patience for that.
    Even if they know how to get everything aligned there is no guarantee after moving it back into your shop that it still would be dialed in. I certainly would want to verify it before firing it up again.

Consider DIY’ing it. Not hard, just basic mechanical skills and a bearing puller. Lots of YT vids too. Done it dozens of times myself, but I’m not in Huston.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Consider DIY’ing it. Not hard, just basic mechanical skills and a bearing puller. Lots of YT vids too. Done it dozens of times myself, but I’m not in Huston.

dozens of times? How often do these bearings go bad? At what point should I replace them if it still cuts fine and just makes a little noise?

Travis he has probably rebuilt that many saws. Are you sure your bearings are bad ? I own a Rockwell Unisaw that I have run for 20+ years and have not done bearings on it yet. I probably should do them sometime soon just because the grease should be almost used up/dried out. My saw has no extra noise or vibrations or blade wobble to indicate that it is time so far. I do have two other Uni's waiting for bearings at my shop now, maybe I will do all three one after the other.

Good idea to have two adults to lift the top off. Or make a sawhorse of the correct. height and slide it halfway off but still flat. It is easy enough to remove the bearings just do not apply any bending force on the arbor arm. Straight push on the bearings only. may be a good time to buy a bearing splitter. one or two inch is a good size for most shop work.
    I have used big sockets, PVC pipe and wood to make bearing pushers when needed. Save the old bearings to grind down a bit on the diameter and use the races to install the new ones.
    Keep track of any shims/washers between the table and the base at the bolts.
    Bill D

If it's an easy move, there are many mechanics with the skills and tools in their shops. Catch one in his off season. Boat mechanics, race car builders, ag equipment shops, airplane mechanics, in your area maybe an oilman. Bring the bearings with you and it should be a few hours. Not cheap but possible.