Thread: A nod to Frank Lloyd Wright

A nod to Frank Lloyd Wright

Back in the fall we had gone to Falling Water and Polymath Park on a Frank Lloyd Wright getaway. At Polymath the flagship house is Mäntylä house. Absolutely amazing.

https://triblive.com/lifestyles/home...ight-property/

Most of the angles in the house are 60 degrees, the tour guide mentioned. I would have loved to be turned loose by myself in there with the camera with lots of time!

(my pic)
    20211005_120321.jpg

Wanted to do a little surprise for my wife and I hit on the idea of a micro cutting board, (or whatever she might want to use it for) so I did this:

20211207_205046.jpg

The angles are 60 degrees, that’s why the odd corners. Let me tell you, three nights of 3 separate glueups were a biatch, slipping and sliding until I figured out a jerry-rigged system of clamping. I cheated and did the cuts with the table saw and it was nerve-wracking but a rush when it was all done!
    There are dings from clamping and the planing stop but I never tried anything like it before, and she absolutely loves it.
    Nice smooth finish is courtesy of Jack! He did such a good job that I stopped right there.

20210819_143134.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Hart; 12-09-2021 at 4:37 AM.

That’s a thoughtful gift and I bet the glue up was “exciting”.

Very cool. I live close to West Lafayette Indiana which is home to Samara house, considered one of the most complete Frank Loyd Wright projects because the couple who somehow convinced Wright to design their house are said to have faithfully executed Wright’s plans for the house, interior design and landscaping. I met the owner years ago, and he said one of Wright’s associate architects visited the house shortly after it was built to see the fire place because he had designed the grate. My oldest kids toured the house in the 1990’s and were amazed that one of the features was a remote controlled cabinet that raised and lowered the television set from inside the cabinet. The home owner relayed that he and his wife asked for a basement in the design and Wright said, no - basements are damp and dark and encourage you to accumulate stuff you don’t need.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    That’s a thoughtful gift and I bet the glue up was “exciting”.
    Glue-up was a bitch, plain & simple!
    And I'm gonna be a masochist and do another one, bigger..