Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basement shop worth it to frame out walls

Blog Entries
    To pass inspection, my basement had to be insulated so they put up these giant bats with shiny stuff on the inside. I felt like I was was inside jiffy pop. I took that down, put up 2x4 studs and sliced the bats int strips. I covered all that with OSB. The only place I painted the OSB is behind the wood lathe. It’s easier to see the profile of the work.

Blog Entries
    I work my laser business out of my basement. I use about 30% for the business. Basement is roughly 1600 square feet. Almost the same size as my upstairs. I'm on a slight hill and I have walkout door on the lower side with one set of windows on the far end, so three sides are tapered up from 3 feet min to full underground. I only have painted walls, the walls were cast in place concrete not block. I REALLY wish I'd had the $ at the time we bought to add furring and insulation. Even in NW Arkansas, it gets in the 50s in the basement as the heating system wasn't plumbed or sized correctly for heating this whole thing. I've added a mini split which help, but insulation would be great on the walls. Just hard with all the equipment and other stuff in the basement. I vote to insulate and put up walls for sure. Even sheetrock over furring and insulation would work.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I thought about it, but decided not to. I need to monitor some cracks and leaks. So I just attached shelves, cabinets, pegboards, etc., directly to the concrete walls with cleats and Tapcons. If my basement was a walk-out, that might have made a difference.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Definitely seal the walls up and floor for that matter. I would rockwool the ceiling before insulating and paneling the walls. If its poured concrete foundation I would leave bare. Get yourself a hammer drill if you dont have one already and you can do french cleats/shelving on the walls. I would run a seperating wall with double doors so you can have a milling /sanding side and a finishing/assembly side.